1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dane Cook, you're not funny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clubber_Slang, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Someday, all the young people who bought Dane Cook CD's (or burned a CD from iTunes) are going to shudder in horror and go, "What the fuck was I thinking?"

Hey, we all make mistakes in our youth. Drinking too much, having unprotected sex, making Dane Cook a millionaire. You just try to make sure your soul is as unscathed as possible.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Hoops nailed it.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm in his demographic and I think his stand up is really good. That said, even I can admit that Tourgasm was the worst tv show I've ever tried to sit through. He was pretty annoying it, but he couldn't have picked a worse supporting cast.

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I'm with ya on Izzard man, his "Dressed to Kill" concert was as funny as anything I've seen..

I also agree with most others impression of Dane Cook....I don't see what the big deal is.

I saw Dave Chappelle in concert a few weeks ago...it was great. He and Izzard are my top 2.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I forgot, who was his supporting cast in Tourgasm. Because, I remember he was part of a touring group that was filmed on Comedy Central, and Dave Attell was one of the guys, and Attell was pretty damn funny in that, as I remember. Was that the same thing?

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

From the Salon.com article:
    "In short, "Tourgasm" may be the least worthwhile series ever to air on HBO -- "Arli$$" included."

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not the same thing.

The one with Dave Attell was the Insomniac tour and featured him, Greg Giraldo, Sean Rouse and Cook as the closer.

Tourgasm was Cook's baby. He closed with Jay Davis, Robert Kelly and Gary Gulman as his openers.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Cook is a fucking hack. So are most comedians mentioned in this thread.

Lord how I miss Bill Hicks...

9. Exit8 chick

Exit8 chick New Member

Okay, I'll be one more voice of dissent. I think Dane Cook is one silly bitch (in case you're not a fan, that's a compliment).

The first time I heard him was at a football tailgate with a bunch of my fellow college drunks. Someone actually was blasting the Retaliation CD from his car. I listened and thought it was amusing, but not that funny.

But a few months later, I was reminded of a few of his jokes, and listened again to the CD. I couldn't stop laughing. Love the first few tracks about getting hit by a car, and the being remembered bit. I don't like all of it, but there are some bits that just make me crack up. Didn't care for Tourgasm either. But fact he's one hot piece of ass doesn't hurt. ;D

BTW, I don't think Carlos Mencia is that great. He obviously tries way too hard. Of the modern era, no one can touch Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock when it comes to racial comedy.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Somebody mentioned Dave Attell.

Talk about a guy who isn't funny.

And he's damn annoying to boot.

As in, if he doesn't shut the hell up, I'm going to put a boot up his ass.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Completely disagree about Attell... that guy is great.

And I don't particularly like Dane Cook.

Some of the best cracker comics, in no particular order: Todd Barry, Lewis Black, Ron White, Mitch Hedburg (RIP), Mitch Fatel (I think he's white.. never actually seen him)..

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Dave Attell may be my favorite standup working right now.

Dane Cook has used stage presence and a devotion to MySpace to cover for the fact that he has no material. He reminds me of Banya from Seinfeld, who did five minutes on things that dissolve in milk. Cook does five minutes on making a "sangwich," and the entire joke seems to be that he's calling it a "sangwich." Yippee.

Draft saved Draft deleted