1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dane Cook, you're not funny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clubber_Slang, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

I liked Dane Cook when I first saw him on TV and heard his Retaliation CD.

But the HBO special wasn't funny. I actually fell asleep watching it — on Tuesday afternoon.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

His HBO series, Tourgasm was horrendous...

I've seen some of his specials and thought they were funny. But they're not nearly as funny as people seem to think. He's a mediocre comedian. He's not terrible, but he's incredibly fan friendly and he has one of the most loyal fan bases around. Hell, having a comedy album as a top 10 seller is unheard of... I think I read somewhere that Steve Martin in 1978 was the last one to do it...

I've seen Jim Norton, Artie Lange, Patton Oswalt and David Cross in concert within the last few years and all of them are about 1,000X funnier than Cook.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

OK, I'll say it. Dane Cook is funny. I like him.

There, I said it.

He was very funny on Attell's Insomniac Tour (available on YouTube for the haters).

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'll have to agree you, I think Dane is a funny little bitch. Not quite as funny as Lewis Black, but damn funny

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ugh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this guy is a douche.

One of the kids that I work with said you can't be in her group of friends if you don't like Dane Cook.

I won't be haning out with her anytime soon.

6. Mizzougrad96

I've seen Carlos Mencia in concert and he's as good as anyone... When he got his show on Comedy Central I wanted to like it so badly, but it just wasn't very good... I think if Chappelle had come back, Mencia's show would have been canceled.

A bulk of Cook's success is due to his availability to his fans. How many A-list comedians sign autographs for three hours after concerts? That breeds loyalty and it's something other comedians/singers etc... need to pick up on...

Plus women love him and for a comedian, that's pretty rare...

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I saw one of his acts about a year or so ago on Comedy Central. It wasn't that funny. Then with all the talk recently, I was asking "Who the hell is Dane Cook?" Finally, after seeing a poster of him, I remembered.

I didn't see his HBO act. I don't know what really draws the fans in. To me, he's just not very funny.

8. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

He's got some funny material but I think he could do a beter job delivering it. He tries to be too funny instead of letting the jokes earn the laughs.

9. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

You and me can start our own circle of friends. Meetings in my bed. You down?

10. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

I feel that. That's pretty much what it is. I figured his fans are a bunch of people who aren't really into comedy otherwise. Like how Black Eyed Peas fans think they like hip-hop. Same shit.

And I really, really tried to like Carlos' show, too. There's some good moments, but they're not worthing waiting around for. His stand-up, though, is still awesome.

11. Mizzougrad96

Carlos' 9/11 show is one of the funniest things I've ever heard...

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cook also works MySpace like crazy. MySpace: Where your teen might be preyed upon by a sexual predator or Dane Cook.

BBC America has been showing an Izzard standup concert lately. The man is brilliant.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted