1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dane Cook in a psychological thriller?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt Foley, May 7, 2007.

1. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

I know that he absolutely brought the house down with his role in "Employee of the Month", but I certainly didn't see this coming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Brooks

2. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Dane Cook is a psychological thriller - the drink Kokaine was made to inject his hysteria into the mainstream.

He's a good and funny guy. Why he gets beaten up so much, I do not understand.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Umm ... because some of us don't find him funny.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

fixed

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I understand how many can find him unfunny, but I really enjoy his act. I think his delivery is fun and he's harmless. The C.K. Lewis shit really lowered Cook a notch in my book, but aside from that, I think many of the criticisms stem mainly from his being over-exposed and his self-pimping, not so much his act. Although Tourgasm was completely unwatchable because of the other stiffs on the road with him.

Cook's a likeable and funny enough guy, just overrated.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I know why I can't stand Dane Cook. If I hear one more woman say, "I love Dane Cook. He is soooooooo hawt!" she's getting a punch in the face. The mark of a good comedian is how funny he is, not how good he looks in spiked hair and a ratty t-shirt. And Dane's 36, time to start dressing like a grown up. Ya know, cause you are one.

That said, he does have his laugh out loud funny moments.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If you tape it and put it online, I'll put into a pool.

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

90 percent of those that say they don't like Dane Cook don't like him because everyone else does. Just to go against the grain, for no reason other than spite. Gotta love it.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Everyone hates him because everyone loves him.

Oh, and no one comes to SportsJournalists.com any more; it's too crowded. :D

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I really liked the "Where's the fuckin' van!" bit, but nothing else he has done has made me laugh. I even watched his HBO (I think) special a few months ago and just sat there waiting for something funny for 90 minutes.

I don't go through life giving much of a shit about what other people think, so I couldn't care less if everyone likes him or hates him. If he made me laugh, as Carlin does, I'd be a huge fan regardless of his popularity.

11. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Or maybe some of us just don't find him the slightest bit funny. I listen with an open mind every time he comes on XM Comedy, and I've yet to hear something that was even mildly amusing.

12. I think Dane appeals to a certain demographic. I have two of his CDs and most of them I find to be pretty frickin' funny.
    I caught one of Carlin's old (1970s) standups on Comedy Central the other night and I didn't find it very funny.
    I like Carlin, but he changed a lot. He got better. I'll bet you Cook does the same thing (not to that extent -- don't claim I'm equating the two).

Draft saved Draft deleted