1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dance, clown, dance" ... or, stick to sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 31, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bryan Curtis is the best thing about The Ringer.

This was written by ESPN's public editor back in November:

Inside and out, ESPN dealing with changing political dynamics

I wish both pieces would have focused more on the coverage of the Missouri boycott. ESPN even gave an award to the Missouri players.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The subhed should have been "No shit, Sherlock."

Very little of that piece rose above the level of "The sun rises in the east." It also neglected -- possibly intentionally -- to mention objective evidence that people are shunning this. Exhibit A: ESPN's loss of viewers. There's also subjective evidence showing this is not the best approach. Some of the "new" writing and commentary is just unsourced garbage.

Bronco77 and SFIND like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Only made it about 2/3rds of the way through. Seemed like he was throwing around "liberal" like it was a derogatory term.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It is.

RedCanuck likes this.
  8. cisforkoke

I enjoyed the part where the writer exclaimed, "I'm a liberal, too!" You have to wonder how long he was waiting to put that in. "Let's see ... should I climax now? No. A couple more paragraphs ... And, now!"

studthug12, Joe Williams and QYFW like this.
  9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought "perfessor" was the old shot at the book-smart sports folks.

It's always amusing when the kids in the toy department puff up as "journalists" by gratuitously sharing in their echo chambers their half-baked and predictable political views. If they were real journalists, they'd stay distinct from either side and challenge Kapernick and Popovich with the same gusto they'll challenge (or skip straight to demonizing) Schilling. That's not being liberal or conservative, that's being professional rather than partisan.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Vigorous jacking-off gesture. More right wing cuntwhining. Minds deluded by the corporatist media screech machine.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  11. cisforkoke

Eh?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just because a right wing cock slapper says he's a "liberal" doesn't mean he is.

Draft saved Draft deleted