1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dance, clown, dance" ... or, stick to sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 31, 2017.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

From the standpoint of whether people should "stick to sports," you have to know your audience. I have a handful of fantasy football "experts" on my Twitter feed. I enjoy the occasional related article that gets linked. I don't give a shit what that person thinks about foreign policy. And not that they don't have a "right" to speak their mind (and employers have corresponding rights); it's just that if you make your living in the arena of something like fantasy sports, no one is taking your random political tweets seriously.

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

My company has fired employees for message-board posts that, quite frankly, haven't been all that offensive or inflammatory. If one of our workers takes to Twitter and does what Hubbuch did, he/she probably would be fired within 30 minutes of the tweet hitting cyberspace.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Somebody else said it first, but it's one of the most true sayings of our time. "Twitter: The 140-character resignation letter."

Old Time Hockey and Alma like this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And those companies are within their rights, barring a union/guild situation. Easy answer: don't do it.

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Not my shop but a nearby shop to me had to cut ties with a freelancer who was a major league truther -- 9/11, chemtrails, Muslim Obama, hell he was a fluoride truther, I thought those guys were extinct.

Anyways, covering a high school game, after a play action pass goes for a TD he tweets "I haven't seen a fake sold that well since Sandy Hook." The reaction was about what you'd expect. Shop didn't even let him do his gamer, they cut off their nose to spite their face and told him to go home and never return. Few weeks later he deleted his account.

FWIW the guy looked like Frank Sobotka from The Wire.

Big Circus and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is he back on twitter? Those guys are entertaining.

7. Sports Barf

I wish. Last I heard he wasn't, but it's been a while since I checked in.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

At my local newspaper, one of the sports columnists moved to news side years ago and was the metro columnist until last year (he's now the food critic, of all things). That paper also just hired away a competitor's NFL beat writer as its editorial page columnist. If Hubbuch had felt a strong calling to comment on news events, seems as though he'd have had plenty of opportunities over the years to switch from sports to news. Although what he tweeted would have gotten him in trouble in any case.

10. Sports Barf

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

From what I know, he's been all about calling attention to himself and being a flame-thrower just to show he can.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Disagree with creating a private, guarded account. It can always find its way out.

Draft saved Draft deleted