1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dance, clown, dance" ... or, stick to sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 31, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It was an asshat world view, to compare a Presidential election with two tragedies that killed around 7,000 people total. Sports writers can be told by their bosses to stick to sports. Our news side people don't go around tweeting that a college football coach should be fired. And his argument that it was on his own time is weak. If he uses that Twitter feed for work-related tweets and posts, it's not his own.

3. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Wonder what the count is now for "jobs lost to ill-advised tweets"?

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Missing the requisite bashing of right-to-work laws when someone gets canned for stuff like this. Oh, wait, looks like you can get fired in a non-RTW state for being a jackass.

5. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

"Last Friday, I was fired by the New York Post for tweeting on my own time seven days earlier my personal belief that Donald Trump becoming President of the United States is a national tragedy."

I mean, that's like saying Tiger Woods got a divorce for expressing his beliefs on hedonism.

Just look at Hubbuch's timeline since the time his account got suspended. The guy's losing it. Cheese done slid off his cracker. I pray for the man's sanity but it may be too late.

Joe Williams and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I don't see how having a sports platform justifies some of the stuff we have received in the last 6 months or so.

Also, that Deadspin article is multiple levels of shit.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

GoFundMe? He can ask the SJW reporter in Connecticut how to get a handout.

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Deadspin, the lawn jockey of the liberal establishment, doesn't understand why tweeting about politics can get you in trouble in the workplace? I'm stunned. Bunch of babbling millennial goober dipshits

QYFW likes this.
  9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

According to the Post, it wasn't just that tweet:

"We expect our reporters to interact with the public, including on social media, in a professional manner," said a Post spokesperson. "Unfortunately, Mr. Hubbuch has engaged in a pattern of unprofessional conduct and exhibited serious lack of judgment, including most recently showing disrespect for the victims of Pearl Harbor and 9/11."

You can't be a flame-thrower your whole life and not expect consequences -- even at the New York Post.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm generally OK with sports journalists sticking to sports on Twitter. Really.

Their opinions are by and large gee-gosh liberal/relativist, kneejerk and uninformed. I do not like reading them. It makes me think less of most of them.

Joe Williams, QYFW and Sports Barf like this.
  11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

It's a verified Twitter account, which means Bart Hubbuch's company e-mail is associated with it. He has used it for work purposes. If the New York Post has any kind of social-media policy, it seems pretty obvious Hubbuch has violated it multiple times.

I suggest anyone who maintains work-related social media accounts looks into their own company's policies. There's no such thing as a truly personal account for a public figure, and anyone with a byline -- or has a name on a masthead -- falls into that category. Either "stick to sports," make damn sure your politics stay neutral, or lock the account and don't accept anyone even remotely work-related as a friend/follower.

Riptide likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Now if only Hollywood would do the same...

Bronco77 and da man like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted