1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Wheldon Family Fund (?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by playthrough, Oct 21, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So in the wake of Dan Wheldon's death, a trust fund for the family has been established at an Indianapolis bank. Donations will also be accepted at his public memorial on Sunday at Conseco Fieldhouse.

I'm deeply saddened by the accident, having covered Wheldon and IndyCar myself for several years, but am just not sure about a public trust fund for an athlete that earned millions in his career. Perhaps he had insurance too in case this exact thing happened. And of course I'm not saying the family shouldn't be taken care of in some fashion. But with a death so public in nature, a lot of money could have been raised in Wheldon's honor for a charity in or out of the motorsports world. Everything I'm reading now instead directs people to this family fund.

Curious what some smart thinkers here would say. I wouldn't ask this on Facebook because I'd get roasted. Obviously one could say "if you don't approve, don't donate" but I'm thinking a little deeper.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

From a purely practical standpoint, I know I've seen a number of things -- postings to Curt Cavin's blog, message board comments, etc. -- from people looking for ways to donate to the family. So while the family's need may be somewhat in question, I understand the establishment of the fund.

As for the family's need, I don't know -- how much did he earn, and how much will be left for the kids? Obviously the Indy wins are a nice payday, but IndyCar isn't exactly a lucrative field these days. He had no financial backing, so he was out of a ride this year. And while I would assume a race car driver would have to have life insurance, I don't know what the terms would be. I'd imagine it's expensive as hell. I had the same questions you do, and I'm not sure of the answers.

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I feel a tad guilty because when I quickly read the title, I thought it was the Dan Wheldon Family FEUD and had visions of Richard Dawson kissing his relatives.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't have a "problem" with it, so to speak, because everyone can do as they please. I personally won't be donating. I liked Wheldon and am certainly sorry he was killed, but I feel sure an IndyCar driver on hard times still had a heck of a lot more than me. I was taught that you help those less fortunate than yourself, not obligated to make the comfy more comfortable.

I don't have a problem with the auction that's going on at all. If celebs want to donate items and give than money to the family, that's a pretty good idea.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would assume that someone who had won the Indy 500 was rolling in coin. I could be wrong...

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Drivers split purses with their car owners. Depending on the team and the circumstance, the driver might not keep much.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You could split this 100 ways and it's still more than some people on this board make in a year.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=14751448

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

And it's also more than what (I would guess) a lot of the Indy fans that will be donating or are being targeted for donations make as well.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So?

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So you said the driver might not keep that much in a very relative term. I was merely trying to put an actual number on "not that much," and Lies pointed out that the family will be seeking donations from the people in that income bracket. Not saying it's right or wrong, just pointing out facts.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of it is cultural, too. Things are different across the pond.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10% of something is not very much of something.

Draft saved Draft deleted