1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Uggla, worst All-Star performance ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 16, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hanley Ramirez needs to take a lot more groundballs, too.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Uggla's performance last night doesn't top the Hammaker debacle from 1983.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Paging Simon_Cowbell...

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Guzman deserved to be in there, and there shouldn't be one debate about it. He's the NL hit leader -- second overall -- and is hitting .313 (seventh) with 26 doubles (fourth). He's not a great player, but he's having a tremendous season -- no matter the team and how many representatives it needs.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, and Dan Uggla's performance was hilariously awful. He's much, much better than that. But sometimes the ball finds you when you're in a slump. That's baseball. That's why it's the greatest game in the world.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mike, Mike, Mike. You are confusing the issue with normal every day stats.
    You read the earlier posts. His OBGYH and PMS factors aren't that good and his HISBUSCIS quotient is tilted right and his ROMIF is pretty low. Therefore, he must suck.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, man. I always do that. My bad.

I'll go back to my den and think about what I've done.

8. Moderator1

Please. And look up his FUGLYMUTHA splits while you are back there. It may shed some new light on the whole debate. I don't think his SMEGMA load is too great, either. But his PINGOMATIC numbers were really good last time I whipped out the ol' abacus.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think you need a new hobby.

10. Moderator1

No, figuring out HIBERTHA Excelsiors so I can learn a little baseball takes all my time.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Actually after last night his FUGLYMUTHA numbers are up near the top of the league. That's baseball for ya.
    I happen to be a pro in that particular stat.
    You wouldn't think that'd be possible with an exhibition game, but, that's what you get for thinking. Once FUGLYMUTHA starts there's no stopping it. No "off" switch.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Clever. Some posters do get into some ridiculous statistics on this site on occasion...but I really don't think using on-base perentage or slugging is that out of line. One reason Guzman leads the NL in hits is that he draws very few walks (only 16 so far).

Still, I thought he was deserving of a spot and it is ridiculous to use his numbers from previous seasons to argue otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted