1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Uggla, worst All-Star performance ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Dan Uggla, worst All-Star ever?

You don't much follow baseball?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say he's the worst All-Star ever, but that was by far the worst All-Star performance I've ever seen.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Cristian Guzman: 764 OPS

Kelly Johnson in a completely meh season: 777 OPS

So, to answer this question:

Because he's lousy. As evidenced by the complete brain fart against Kazmir and the inability to put down a sac bunt. A slap-n-speed hitter who can't bunt. Awesome.

Also that. If the ASG Counts(TM), then no players from lousy teams should be there without a clear reason (as in, are having an awesome season, which Guzman isn't).

Guzman, 2005: 219/260/314. Dude's the rich man's Neifi Perez.

With that being said, Uggla was definitively awful.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

No I much don't, outside of the team I directly care about. But that's not my point. Baseball season is 160+ games. Sometimes it just feels like people expect some players to play perfect every time they get on the field. And I believe that to be impossible. There will be bad games and bad days for every one of them. That's just the way I see it.

But I did say that I could be completely wrong.

5. Moderator1

Hurt, bad eyes *** if he's your definition of lousy, there's a lot of lousy players on major league rosters. A lot of them.

And "lies," you are not wrong at all. Clearly a bad day. I was just surprised you hadn't heard of him.
    It doesn't make you a bad person. At least you are not a Guzman hater.

6. king cranium maximus IV

That's correct.

7. Re: Dan Uggla, worst All-Star ever?

He probably hasn't heard of Guzman either. ;D

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Now let me get this straight. You're using Guzman's 2005 numbers to justify why he doesn't belong on the 2008 All Star Team? In what universe does that make sense?

If you want to change the rules of the All Star Game to allow baseball to do away with its every team must have at least one player rule, good luck. It may not be a perfect rule, but it at least ensures that people who otherwise wouldn't give a shit have some rooting interest in watching the game.

Power displays in the Home Run Derby might come around fairly often, but players capturing the imagination of the baseball public the way Josh Hamilton did doesn't happen often.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Lidge got the loss. But he's had worse.

[​IMG]

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Exactly.

No question Guzman played a better game last night than Uggla. Also no question Uggla is the superior player.

Guzman career: .268/.305/.382
    Perez career: .267/.297/.375

Perez has about 800 more ABs than Guzman. Check back in two seasons and Guzman will be below Perez.

11. king cranium maximus IV

Not this one, because that was obviously not what I meant. I was using Guzman's horrible '05 numbers to show why he's not a "solid player."

12. Moderator1

He's been hurt and he had eye surgery. No Nats fan in his right mind would argue for him based on 05 and 06. He was OK last year until he got hurt and has been very good this year.
    Yes, I would take Uggla in a trade for him straight up. I've never argued that Cristian is the be-all, end-all.
    But he's a long way from suck, way above bad. Teams could do a hell of a lot worse. The Nats have more problems than I can count.
    Guzman is not one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted