1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Uggla, worst All-Star performance ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 16, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We're talking about playing second base at the Major League level. If you think home runs, or even just offense, outweigh every other aspect of the game, you're just watching the game through fantasy baseball lenses.

Even if we were going to eliminate speed and defense in the equation and limiting discussion to who would make a better DH, I'd take Roberts for my team every time: Uggla's career OPS is .844, Roberts' is .864.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Larry Wayne didn't make the All-Star team in 1999, iirc

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Roberts plays in a power ballpark.

There's also that steroids question. Or maybe he too was using Flintstones Chewables.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think we're talking about Hall of Fame credentials here, just who is the better player right now. Roberts is one of the best defensive second basemen in the game. Uggla is one of the worst. Roberts also has a more well-rounded offensive game while Uggla, who still has to prove he can consistently hit for average as well as power.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yes, he made three uggly ones.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's right there in the pantheon.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

All four NL errors were committed by Marlins.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't have a preference for either (I rather like the potential of Mark Ellis), but Uggla's in his third season in the bigs. Of course he needs polish.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He's 28. He's played college ball, spent five years in the minors and three more in the majors. He's never going to be a good defensive second baseman and he's never going to have speed.

Draft saved Draft deleted