1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Uggla, worst All-Star performance ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Originally posted this on the running All-Star game thread, but thought it deserved its own ...

Is Dan Uggla's performance (three errors, three strikeouts, one GIDP) the worst in All-Star history?

Has he finally supplanted Atlee Hammaker as the all-time, All-Star goat?

Or do people just not care as much about such things anymore?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: Dan Uggla, worst All-Star ever?

I hope he gets to play in another one just so that game won't be his only memory of playing in the All-Star Game. He was selected in '06 but didn't get into the game.

3. Re: Dan Uggla, worst All-Star ever?

pretty rough night, made rougher by fox telling the world it was his dream to have his dad see him play there, etc...

but in the end, most people will forget by tomorrow (in fact most people werent even awake to see a lot of it to begin with).

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Might be the worst ever, but I don't think that anyone cares.

If I was him, I wouldn't.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

AP gamer on ESPN this a.m. just had to say that Uggla made "two uggly errors." Since fixed, but still.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Maybe worst performance in an All-Star Game, but to call him the worst All-Star ever when Cristian Guzman was his teammate reeks of sports-radio schlock.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

When was the All-Star game?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

At least Guzman didn't make errors on balls I've seen 9 and 10 year olds make routinely.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Not until I get to play in the game. Then we decide.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What does that even mean?

I'm guessing the 9 and 10 year olds you've been watching didn't have the pressure of extra innings, Yankee Stadium and major league hitters hitting the balls at them.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bite me!!
    Why didn't Guzman deserve to be there? Because he's a Nat? It isn't the first time he's made the team.
    Guzman is nobody's idea of a future Hall of Famer but he's a solid player having an all-star year.
    And he didn't make three errors.

Uggla may have blown last night but he's never been an all-star fielder. I'd still take him in a minute.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Isn't it possible that the guy just had an off night? Surely if we look back at every All-Star game ever played there is at least one player who didn't play to their expected potential.

I had never even heard of this guy until last night, so I really have no clue as to who he is or how well he might play normally. Which means I could be completely wrong. But it sure seems like a possibility to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted