1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Snyder buys Johnny Rockets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/09/business/09deal.html?ref=business

“We think it’s a big-time brand,” [Mr. Snyder] said, his voice filled with excitement. “You can see the business rocketing, no pun intended, in the future.”

He has ambitious expansion plans, anticipating opening 1,000 new restaurants in the next five years. “There’s no reason we shouldn’t have 15 or 20 Johnny Rockets in Dubai,” he said.
    He also envisions opening Johnny Rockets restaurants inside FedEx Field in Washington, where the Redskins play, and inside Six Flags theme parks.

“The thing about Dan is he always keeps you guessing,” said Mark Shapiro, the chief executive of Six Flags, who left his job as ESPN’s programming director to work for Mr. Snyder. “If you had polled 100 C.E.O.’s about what Dan would buy next, this would not be on the list.”

Mr. Shapiro, who says the Oreo cookie shake is his favorite Johnny Rockets menu item, added: “Anything he touches, as long as you got the patience, turns to gold.”

Patience may be a virtue needed in his investment in Six Flags. Last year, its amusement parks recorded a 14 percent decline in attendance. Mr. Shapiro said he expected a turnaround this year after 7 of the 30 parks were sold for $312 million.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

No pun intended? Really?

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

I thought it said Dee Snyder.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I had lunch at a JR's the other day. Pulled out some nickels and played some James Brown on the jukebox.

5. "Hi, I'm Mark Brunell. Can I take your order?"

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do the sandwiches there have Rocket Sauce?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

After giving us ESPN Entertainment, Mark Shapiro deserves to work for Danny Snyder.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I can die happy now that I know that the Oreo cookie shake is Mark Shapiro's favorite.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What is this Johnny Rockets of which we are speaking.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seriously?

It's a retro burger joint that tries too hard to be hip and retro. Of course, many are located at malls.

The food is not bad. But I'm sure the prices will, pardon the pun, skyrocket under Little Danny.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, I don't make it to the mall that often, so there you go.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted