1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Shaugnessy is an "Idiot"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Aug 25, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/08/25/damon_must_have_his_reasons_but_what_are_they/?page=1

I don't understand what Detroit's poor image and "burned out Chevy's" have to with the Boston Red Sox, but Shaugnessy swung and missed on this one.

Making fun of Detroit is recycled joke. I'd expect someone with a column for a big paper like the Globe TO put in the effort to write something original.

And yes Dan, I'm sure Johnny Damon actually lives down town on a block with a bunch of foreclosed homes, or in the projects.

Everything else aside, what's the big deal with Damon saying he "loves Detroit" and wants to stay there? After a summer of LeBron James story lines, Chris Paul being a baby, and NFL holdouts, isn't it nice to see a player say he likes where he is playing for once?

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You can be critical of a writer without calling him or her an "idiot."

Swing and a miss.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Geez, you get to play with less pressure and you don't have to put up with Red Sox fans. Hard choice for Damon.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And while the Tigers' playoff hopes look bleak, they're still better than Boston's.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, here's Shaugnessy talking about Damon in his lead:

So it’s official: He really is an idiot.

So I doubt he takes issue with anyone's lack of civility in public discourse.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Weren't the Sox known as the Idiots that first year they won the Series?

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's why I put idiot in quotes.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not going to bust on someone for quoting Springsteen.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Two thoughts, as someone who has lived in southeastern Michigan for his entire life:

1. "And we may never know the real reason." Dan you are right on the money. We don't. And columns that speculate and take potshots at the subject make the writer look like an idiot (in a negative way).

2. Detroit isn't perfect. But calling it the equivalent of a worthless wasteland? Please feel free to kiss my ... . Cheap insults make the writer look like an idiot (in a negative way).

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

9 GB with two teams to catch is better than 6 GB and one team to catch? Seriously?

11. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I've spent the last two summers working in downtown Detroit. Most outsiders would probably be surprised how safe it is and how nice the atmosphere is on a game night.

That said, you can see multiple abandoned buildings from the stadium, including the looming empty hulk of Cass Tech. You are guaranteed to be greeted by homeless people at intersections en route to the stadium, holding various signs asking for money. These are real issues that Detroit still has a long way to go in addressing.

But what people outside Detroit always fail to understand is that Detroit has some of the nicest suburbs in the country. Johnny Damon's family isn't exposed to any of the flaws of downtown Detroit with any regularity - they're in a great neighborhood somewhere, undoubtedly marveling at the low cost of living and their great schools. Detroit is often a great place to be a pro, especially a veteran with kids. Seriously, ask the athletes, I've heard them say it multiple times myself.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. Could Shaug;lkafg;hagh come off as a bigger ass? Not sure he could.

BOSTON IS THE GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

Puke.

Draft saved Draft deleted