1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Rather: Obama couldn't sell watermelons if...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Orange soda.

2. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

And that's about the fourth time you've made that remark. Zeke isn't here anymore, so I doubt he's going to care in the least.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK, I must have missed something. When did Zeke leave?

4. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

Really, Dan, was it that difficult to find the 'couldn't sell ice to eskimos' cliche in the ol' mental file folder.

5. mb

mb Active Member

And if there's a chance, I'll use it a fifth. And maybe even ... wait for it ... a SIXTH!

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

OUTING ALERT: LongTimeListener is Edgar Winter.

7. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Grape soda.

My favorite Watermelon and Blacks and Dumb Stereotypes Story goes back to high school. Our football team, probably 85 percent black, used to scrimmage the wealthiest, whitest school in our region every year. I'm almost positive they didn't have a single black player most years. So my sophomore year we go up there on a sweltering August day and have us a nice little scrimmage. Afterward, the White and Wealthy school's parents invite our team over for some postgame treats. So along with my teammates, I walk over to their side ... and see they've got two big tables of watermelon, with smiling Wealthy and White parents waiting to serve us.

Even at age 15, I immediately cringed at this scene. This was the year after the L.A. riots, and race was a constant topic of discussion in our locker room. We had a few very political dudes on the team, and I was half expecting them to start overturning tables and start making a scene. But instead everyone -- black, white, latino, Asian -- just dove right in and started chowing down. Nobody noticed (or cared about) the racial irony, and everybody enjoyed themselves some watermelon on a hot summer day. Except for me, I really don't care for watermelon.

8. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I'm sure you will. I'm sure Zeke is sorry for hurting your widdle feewings whenever he did. I can ask him if you want, so maybe you can get some closure. :)

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Dan Rather made a bad analogy? Impossible.

10. mb

mb Active Member

Yeah, I'd REALLY appreciate it. And maybe we can keep this going. Wouldn't that be the AWESOMEST?!>!>!>?!?!

And if I really want to talk to him, which I don't, I can just head on over to the secret clubhouse.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Anyway, back on topic here guys.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, talking about him satisfies you to no end. No need to talk to someone when you can just talk about them in order to get a woody.

Draft saved Draft deleted