1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Rather criticizes CBS decision to hire Katie Couric

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

There was also a great skit from laugh-in about the future. They said 'in 1984, when President Ronald Reagan,' and the place erupted in laughter.

But Rather is very bitter, lmost as bad as Kronkite. Could be because he got shit-canned for jumping the gun on the Bush military story without double checking his sources. Regardless of how great a reporter he was, that is what he'll be remembered for.

But agree, Couric is terrible as an anchor.

2. Cronkite is angry, not bitter.
    Important difference.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Good point, but that was a one-time deal

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Whether Rather is angry or not, he's on point with the direction CBS has taken, overdoing it with its celebrity coverage.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He may be bitter but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Last year, on the anniversary of 9/11, MSNBC ran the first 3 hours of NBC coverage of that day.
    Katie was awful. Nothing but inane comments like "This is just so shocking!"
    I cannot believe CBS thinks she'd be good in long-form coverage of a breaking event like 9/11.
    Dear Les Moonves: It is not that America hates the fact that a woman is delivering the news, it's just that it can be done by a better anchor (male or female) than Katie Couric.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bill Clinton played sax on Arsenio Hall and was elected twice.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not to mention Bill Clinton while President....... aw forget it.

9. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

And that, my friends, is what's known as a counterpoint, or, if you prefer, an 'in-your-face,' or for Marv Albert fans, a 'facial.'

That was tight, Dooley. :) I love a good joke, even when it's at my own expense. Ha ha.

I do want to say this, however: Gore himself - and members of his own team - felt that the SNL stint was his way of acknowledging that he wasn't going to run, that it was the 'point of no return' for any presidential aspirations, for that run.

It doesn't mean for future runs. But I didn't say that, so the response was appropriate. People don't necessarily want to see a guy whose hand will be on 'the button' making fun of himself and others less than a year before he's elected, IMO. I'm not saying that's good, just how many want to imagine their president.

I think, too, that there's a lot more scrupulousness now than in the 1960's. Then, TV was still a novelty and probably almost any appearance (except when sweating profusely while debating a better looking opponent) was seen as a good thing.

Still, that was sweet. :)

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

rokski: In 1968, television was not a "novelty". Before Nixon appeared on Laugh-In, that sort of would have been looked upon as undignified by a lot of people because somebody running for a serious office would be seen doing something frivilous.

The difference when political people appeared on entertainment shows was that things were generally done in the format of a serious political discussion. Today, political candidates do things in the context of entertainment shows and hosts such as Jay Leno and Letterman.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Son of a bitch. I posted this last night under "Anything Goes": http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42916/

I jealous of Big Chee. But, I'm pissed at myself for not thinking about putting this under Sports and News.

Rip off my Junior stripes. It's back to Newbie KP duty for me. :'(

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yea- but dam she did look good with that doo.

Draft saved Draft deleted