1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Patrick's SI debut

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by broadway joe, Feb 7, 2008.

1. And just to make it clear, I'm by no means a luddite. But I'm a firm believer that the importance and impact of journalism isn't measured by "Web hits." This has been bad because it makes something that's unquantifiable quantifiable.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

rich

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Which is why I canceled my subscription several years ago.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I recently didn't renew my subscription after more than 20 years... I still get ESPN Magazine, but I think I'm getting it for free, because I know I'm not paying for it...

5. silentbob

silentbob Member

Mizzou,

My guess is you are paying for it.
    Once you subscribe to The Mag, they just keep renewing your subscription by charging your credit card.
    Still not sure how they can do that without permission

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Because you give permission when you sign up for the subscription.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

If you don't think websites and video are crucial to the long-term survival or both newspapers and magazines, you just have your heads in the sand.

the two mediums don't have to be mutually exclusive.

You can combine depth of words with good video to create a full "media consumption" experience. In fact, not only can you, but you must.

Or, you can sit in the crow's nest and insist the ice berg on the horizon is merely a cloud.

8. Sly

Sly Active Member

Not true. I started getting ESPN The Mag out of nowhere one day and got it for about a year for free. I know that it comes with Insider, but I've never subscribed to that either. Then, the other day, I get hit with a $39.95 charge on my credit card. No idea how ESPN got that either. The charge only stayed on my account for a couple of hours. ESPN took it right off, though they wouldn't reveal their methods. Evil empire, indeed.

9. fletch b. fletch

fletch b. fletch New Member

It's irritating how SI has become more and more like ESPN The Magazine. I stopped subscribing to ESPN The Magazine a few years ago because its non-stop fluff and sucking up made me puke. I have yet to ever hear anybody say, "Wow, did you see that Outtake Dan Patrick had?" Or "How about that 2-way with Stuart Scott?" I don't know. Maybe someone smarter than me has done research saying that readers really respond to that kind of stuff. But I know I would much rather read a well-done story about pigeon-racing than a smarmy sucking-up session with Dan Patrick.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Recent articles in SI:

Trinity squash team
    Pigeon racing
    A report on a cardiovascular abnormality that is killing young athletes
    Alberto Salazar
    Where do all the Rolles come from?

They're doing pretty good on the niche stories lately.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I skimmed Dan Patrick's debut page.

It's nothing more than the drivel he used to file for ESPN The Mag.

12. Quick question about the pigeon racing. Is that the league that is in Coney Island in Brooklyn?

Draft saved Draft deleted