1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Patrick joins SI Group/new radio show thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Oct 11, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Who said that?

People said he has no print background and he's not senior writer material.

Tell me where on his resume he has writing expertise? Other than a lame warmed-over Q-and-A that some intern cobbled together from his radio show.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Keith Olberman is a big douche"/ Opie and Anthony

3. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I guess a Q&A reprinted from your radio show qualifies you as a senior writer, eh?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that is old-time hockey, Noonan. I've got a Cincinnati Stingers puck.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

There really isn't. Since the job title (in this case) comes from the magazine, Senior Writer was probably as high as anyone would be willing to go. The only thing higher on the masthead that isn't an Editor title belongs to Mr. Deford, and his title is Senior Contributing Writer. No one was going to give Patrick that. And I'm sure Patrick wouldn't have accepted a lesser title, like Staff Writer or Writer-Reporter, etc. I also assume he asked to be made a Senior as part of his deal.

The dotcom folks don't really seem to have comparable titles.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Dan and Keith's book "The Big Show" (or whatever) is pretty good reading, esp. if you're a TV/radio college major. It shows he has an ability to convey thoughts in a logical manner on paper. You do write your own scripts on SC, and his, and Keith's, were pretty damn good. Maybe the best.

I imagine most logical people here assume the guy can write somewhat (he's not taking Gary Smith's job), and if not, they'll edit the shit out if it, like they do with everyone else.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Will Patrick be in Rushin's old spot, at the front of the mag? Just hard to believe a TV guy is handed that piece of prime real estate. But I'll give his stuff a chance.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

With a big name such as Patrick, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of no-edit clause.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Hemingway: "The first draft of anything is shit."

Dan Patrick better NOT get a no-edit clause.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This was the question I was going to ask. It seems like the logical spot, and I would certainly give it a long chance.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

nine to noon eastern? Talk about a radio deadzone limiting your reach to half the country (albeit a big half of the country, and its based in LA?) weird.

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

They're positioning it as an alternative to Cowherd or Fox's godawful show. A lot more stations in big markets need network programming in the middle of the day than they do drive times. Patrick 9-12 and Jim Rome 12 to 3 bookended by local shows in drive will be a popular plan for a lot of stations.

Draft saved Draft deleted