1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Patrick joins SI Group/new radio show thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Oct 11, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: Dan Patrick Joins SI Group

I'm going to merge this with the Dan Patrick Show thread, since the basic topic of both is, well, Dan Patrick.

Have at it.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

21 beat me to it.

"a sports genius?" WTF is Terry McDonell drinking?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Remember this is the guy who picked Dwayne Wade as his Sports Person of the Year.

4. I thought the telling line was the one where Patrick said SI is the pinnacle of sports journalism ... a not-so-veiled jab at ESPN?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

OK.

So they hire a guy whose one great strength, ever, has been television -- and which is the one outlet they don't have.

They get him instead for his name recognition, and to "write" for the dotcom and/or the magazine, and for the right to stream the online webcast of a radio show no one likes so far, and to operate danpatrick.com.

Sports genius.

I assume he'll spend a great deal of his time on HBO Sports, cross-promoting Time Warner's various vertically-integrated sports entertainments. Which means not only does his arrival perhaps sting Reilly, but Costas as well.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The HBO thing makes a lot of sense, jgmacg. Never even thought of that.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

All he ever did for ESPN's magazine was a weekly Q&A. Is this an addition or does he replace somebody?

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Since the magazine laid off so many people this year, I'm going to assume that most of Mr. Patrick's no-doubt immense salary is coming from SI Digital. Which is a creature not only of SI, but also taps the greater new-media money floating around Time Warner, which means HBO.

If you're trying to extend the brand here, though, you use "Sports Illustrated" in the press release.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Given some of the elite talent at SI with 'Senior Writer' distinction....wasn't there some other title more appropriate for Patrick?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Since he has never written that struck me as kind of odd also. It would be comparible to being named chief surgeon at a hospital if your previous job was meat cutter.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

How does the senior writer distinction work there, generally? Is it a matter of production, time? I noticed that the newcomers, Hack, Trotter and Jenkins, are immediate senior writers, yet Seth Davis, Dohrmann, Lars Anderson aren't.

This move is great for the guy who founded "Content Factory." I'm sure he's seeing a nice cut from this deal.

12. Amazing the envy on this board. Can you people simply not enjoy something or someone for what they are?

Patrick is a great radio host/personality. I loved his show on ESPN and hated it when he left. I only wish I could get him now. Him and Olberman together are the best on radio.

But, that's right, everyone here can do better. That's why we're all here. I forgot.

Draft saved Draft deleted