1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Mullen will walk out on reporters if they ask about injuries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does the Memphis paper still cover both Mississippi schools? Ole Miss is practically in the backyard, but MSU would be a bit of a hike...

I still have nightmares about Golden Triangle Regional Airport. I don't know if it's the worst airport in the country, but it's the worst I've been to by several miles...

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Pondering whether a coach "won the press conference" has become commonplace in these parts now. I don't know how I feel about that, but it's happening.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And the apple don't fall far from the tree.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

#firstworldproblems

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes it does and Golden Triangle Regional is a scary place.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

My first question was "Who the fuck is Dan Mullen?" Dan (and most football coaches, for that matter) need to lighten the fuck up. This ain't life or death, it certainly ain't war and they take themselves and their sport WAY too seriously.

7. ericedholm

ericedholm New Member

It's NFL, not college, but Andy Reid does the same thing. Every day. Quite up front. They even make the trainer, Rick Burkholder, available every now and then to separate fact from fiction on complex injuries. Of course, then Reid will be vague about everything else.

"We'll have to see how that goes," is a common response to ... well, everything.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I fundamentally disagree. Dan Mullen is paid $2.5 million a year to win football games. He better be taking it seriously. I'll never understand the reflexive insistence of so many sports journalists that our subjects and readers take sports too seriously. It's the only thing keep us employed.

It's his right to avoid injury questions, and it's our job to push back with everything we've got if we think this is a battle worth fighting.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I contend there is a right to know because the 100,000 people packing college football stadiums deserve to know. Amazing how they put up with the secrecy coaches want to throw at them. In the end, the fans are getting short-changed.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Football coaches aren't fighting actual wars, they aren't running countries, they aren't curing diseases and they aren't designing a longer-lasting light bulb. They're part of an entertainment industry, no more, no less.

For about a 20-year period, between 1983-2002, the two dominant college football programs were Miami and Florida State. Seven national championships between them. And the two most open and accessible programs during that time were Miami (regardless of who coached them) and FSU under Bowden. So the correlation between running a paranoid, secretive program and winning doesn't exist. You can win the other way (Meyer, Saban, etc.) but Bowden, Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Erickson, Larry Coker, Bowden, Pete Carroll at USC (from what I've been told) and Frank Beamer proved all the time that you can win by not being a raging prick.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Actually, no - not in the sense of the question as I think you intended it. The Commercial Appeal announced a couple of weeks ago that it was revising its SEC coverage plan "to emphasize Ole Miss" with Rod Higgins as Rebels beat writer. He will continue his weekly SEC notebook. The AP will provide Mississippi State and Arkansas coverage, the Knoxville paper will cover Tennessee and The Tennessean will provide Vandy dispatches.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought Memphis already got it's UT stuff from Knoxville, a sister Scripps paper. And you might not fill up the Rendezvous with the number of Vandy diehards in town.

Draft saved Draft deleted