1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Mullen will walk out on reporters if they ask about injuries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 3, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't care how good the HD is, no one's hiring a lip reader. Same goes for coaches who call plays to the quarterback with the game plan sheet over their mouth. If think we would have heard about a run to hire lip readers if this was happening.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Even a lot of Bulldogs die-hards thinks he went too far there. It comes on the heels of a poor effort at the SEC Media Days in which he gave the same basic stump speech he gave a year ago. And a year ago he was coming off a 9-win season and a bowl win over Michigan.

Worst of all, Mullen has given an unarmed man - new Ole Miss head coach Hugh Feeze - a stick to pound him with. Freeze just joked and laughed about the injury question, and the MSU context, at his media day on Friday. He had a chance to create a real contrast of personal styles thanks to Mullen's misstep.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hard to believe that someone whose mentor was Urban Meyer could wind up being an asshole...

I agree the guy is a good coach. I think if Mullen has a respectable season and UF shits the bed again Mullen would wind up with that job sooner rather than later...

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes Freeze handled it well but he's got his own problems such as naming a starting QB. Mullen is a dick and truthfully, he's been arrogant for quite a while. Those posters with him clenching his fist and saying "Welcome to our State!" weren't done without his consent.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Curious how critical the coverage of Miss. St. is. If he isn't going to answer questions about injuries, that's fine, but I'd damn sure be throwing hardballs about every other topic that is fair game. I feel like a lot of reporters pull a lot of punches in order to try to get/stay on a coach's good side. But if he isn't giving you the information you need, what good is he? Besides, if you hammer him on every legitimate question -- and at Miss. St., I'm sure there are plenty -- I suspect he'd get to a point where he'd gladly talk about injuries.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If the Clarion-Ledger still had a columnist, we might know.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Coaches don't want the right info out there. They'd prefer for there to be 100 versions out there, most or all of them inaccurate. It's the same with letting fans watch scrimmages but not letting media see. It's great to have 1,231 posts about the new offense online for opposing coaches to see, and with most of those posts wrong or contradictory or misleading. The last thing coaches want is accurate information out there about injuries and practices.

Those coaches love to complain about the stuff on fan sites and message boards, but in many ways, they are the coach's allies.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

How do "the media, and through us the fans, have every right to know about injury status of players" from coaches?

We don't have that right. Fans don't have that right. A coach can say whatever he wants or divulge whatever he wants.

Not that I agree with Mullen's stance at all. It would be far better to put out correct information than, as mentioned, have bloggers and fanboi sites putting out incorrect info.

Writers can ask, and should, but the coach doesn't have to say jack about it. So how is there a "right to know?"

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There isn't. People overuse the word "right," and they have no right to do so.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What would you say if I asked who would play?
    Would you stand up and walk out on me?
    Lend me the mic and I'll say something bright,
    And I won't mention Tyler Russell's knee.

Oh, coaches get by with a little help from the beat.
    Yeah, coaches can lie with a little help from the beat.
    Mmm, cover up and hide with a little help from the beat.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was going to post something like I didn't realize media day was a competition, but then remembered this is the SEC we're talking about.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It just means you have to get whatever information from another source. Sort of like political reporters.

Draft saved Draft deleted