1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Marino's Baby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This would have been a good one for the "story or no?" discussions I used to do in class

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/31/3209786/report-dan-marino-fathered-child.html

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The kid looks just like him. Same hair, same eyes, no Super Bowl ring.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not related to the journalistic aspect of it, but I always wonder: How in holy hell do educated people with something to lose accidentally knock someone up? There are only about 1,001 ways to prevent it in 2013. How the hell does it happen? My best friend from college knocked someone up at age 28 that he was on the brink of breaking up with. Shotgun wedding. Currently, seven years later, divorcing.

I'm moralizing, but fuck it. Do people like Dan Marino have absolutely no self-control? Seriously?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Should make for the first interesting CBS pregame show in history.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He's white, so no big deal. He can hang out with Arnold and smoke cigars and commiserate.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Where's the phrase "baby mama" in this story? Or "seven children by two different women?"

Why doesn't Cromartie ever have a "love child?"

Hmm.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Extremely valid points.

Whenever I see stories like this, I think of the "Where's Daddy" SI with the picture of the daughter Larry Bird had with another woman. The girl was the spitting image of her dad...

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

CBS has some tough choices to make on Sunday. Thanks to the print media doing their job this week it's going to be hard to continue the TV canonization of Ray Lewis.

Now Dan Marino's baby momma adds to the fun. It seems like they will have to address it or it will be the gorilla on the set.

9. partain

partain Member

Two of those with his wife were adopted -- according to the story -- so there's at least a third woman (and maybe a fourth) involved.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Poor girl

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

From the comments section of the Miami Herald story:

Hey, I lived in Weston for 16 years and never suspected anything!

Then again, Dan and I lived in slightly different parts of the community. :D

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure 99% of all 'love child' cases have absolutely nothing to do with love.

To answer Moddy's question, it's a 'story' for TMZ and People, not so much for sports media. But it will become one anyway.

As for CBS, I guess the question is, if the same story came out about Howie Long, would CBS report it on the pregame show? Would Fox report on Marino if they had a pregame show?

Draft saved Draft deleted