1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Jenkins to be inducted into World Golf Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Raiders

Raiders Guest

I know Jenkins excels in writing about golf, but I miss his football stories to this day. Those stories had muscle, grit and everything else that comes with big-time football gamers.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Agreed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1085606/index.htm

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

One of my heroes. God, I love this guy.

I just hope Kenny Lee Puckett gets to do the intro speech...

4. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

Fuck golf. Viva Dan Jenkins.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Jenkins is a true master. Good guy too.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And from the same story, one of my favorite paragraphs in sportswriting, on Johnny Rodgers' punt return:

"It was one of those insanely thrilling things in which a single player, seized by the moment, twists, whirls, slips, holds his balance and, sprinting, makes it all the way to the goal line. Rodgers went 72 yards for the touchdown, one which keeps growing larger in the minds of all. And afterward, back on the Nebraska bench, he did what most everybody in Norman, Okla. probably felt like doing: he threw up."

7. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

Damn, he's 82. His fiction writing was excellent as well. I thought "Fast Copy" was really good stuff. I go back and read it again every couple of years.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

yeah, you don't get to 210 majors without starting young and staying old.

Damn right about his fiction. Dead Solid Perfect may be his best, though it didn't get as much acclaim as Semi Tough.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Potattus Frye, by the way, may be my favorite Jenkins' fictional name ever. And this was a guy who has a boatload of them.

Mr. Frye, if I recall correctly, played for Climpson

10. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

Then there were the twins in Sometimes You Gotta Play Hurt - Lemonjello and Limejello

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have no interest in golf unless Dan Jenkins is writing about it. Loved the monthly sports column he did for Playboy back in the 80s. Some great stuff there.

Loved the two guys he had fighting for the heavyweight title in You Gotta Play Hurt: Porkchop Perkins (or something like that) and Car Radio Jones (again, it's been a while since i read it maybe I am confusing him with someone else in that book).

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . as well as serving as searchlight inspiration for at least one other prominent fiction writer . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted