1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Jenkins to be inducted into World Golf Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Dec 15, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/dan-jenkins

Longoverdue. Since the Hall of Fame already has media members (Herbert Warren Wind, Frank Chirkinian), this was an oversight to wait until now. To my mind, the best American sportswriter. Ever.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Amen! and AMEN!!!

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Word. For. Freakin'. Word.

And, from one member of the Never-Read-A-Bad-Story-With-His-Byline Club about another, I present you this.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/us-open/2010-06/video-us-open-dan-jenkins1

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't care about golf. But I read anything I see with the words "By Dan Jenkins." So I've read a lot about golf.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It was mentioned in the office yesterday - a staggering number of majors attended, I mean staggering. Of course, I can't recall the number now.

Agree with all that's been said. Congrats on a well-deserved honor.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Long overdue and super well deserved.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Dan's count is 210 majors covered. Just think of what he's had a front-row seat for:

1. Hogan's 1951 U.S. Open after the near fatal car accident.
    2. Every one of Jack and Arnie's 10 Masters ... to say nothing of their other majors.
    3. Every one of Tiger's majors.

Also, I would encourage any sportswriter, if they haven't already committed it to memory, to read his Sports Illustrated gamer on the 1971 Nebraska-Oklahoma game.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

'Bout time.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

When I saw this yesterday, was surprised that he wasn't in already. Wish I was able to cover an event he attended, just to see how he worked.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know who the best sportswriter of all-time is.

But if someone told me it was Jenkins, I sure as hell wouldn't argue.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have covered tournaments Jenkins covered. He does it the same way everyone else does -- until it's time to write. Then the difference kicks in.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Might have to get over to that induction ceremony in St. Augustine. Should be a great ceremony, especially with in Mickelson and Peter Alliss going in alongside Jenkins.

Draft saved Draft deleted