1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Jenkins is tweeting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

So I've been reading You Gotta Play Hurt on the recommendations in this thread. It's funny, to be sure. But forgive a dumb question from someone who turned pro in this business when it was already on the downturn... was sportswriting EVER remotely close to this? Endless, unchecked expense accounts, with $6,000-cash-advances, too? American newspaper writers (and magazine columnists with friggin' fact-checkers) going to Europe for non-Olympic events? Those minions doing all the reporting and interviewing for a columnist? Sportswriters getting laid? It was never THAT good, was it?

On the other hand, the editing processes skewered in the book -- it was never THAT bad, was it?

I mean, this is fantasyland, right? Not reality? Not even hyperbole?

And for the record, The Sports Magazine looks to be about the worst magazine in recorded history, given the writers and editors. I desperately want to read it. :)

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm following, waiting for him to tweet; "Tryin' one."

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is exaggerated, sure. But not by as much as you'd think

Draft saved Draft deleted