1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan in Real Life

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Last Boy Scout, Oct 21, 2007.

1. I saw the preview for this Steve Carrell movie and was interested in the first 10 seconds when it was established that he was a newspaper writer, maybe a columnist.

However, seconds later, I lost all interest. The plot revealed in 30 seconds is that he's a fuckup who meets a great woman who happens to be banging his brother. Because we've never had a movie with this plot before.

Then, the Peter Frampton music began, edited to a big family gathering with singing and dancing.

Fuck me. What a waste.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

AND DANE COOK!!!!!!

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Perhaps you've seen this film before when it was called The Family Stone?

Steve Carell appears to be in the Sarah Jessica role.

Seriously, I don't think it looks too bad. Then again, I'm an Office fan so maybe I'm a bit biased. :)

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Two words why y'all should give this a chance:
    Juliette Binoche.
    After seeing "Chocolat," Mrs. Terrier and I gave each other the Larry David pass.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Why is every movie with a newspaper writer in it a columnist? And I tend to stay away from movies where the trailer shows people hugging. And comedies where they keep having to pull quotes from critics describing how "funny" it is. I've never seen a drama described as "dramatic."

6. I told my wife that I was fully convinced that this was a shitty remake of a shitty movie she rented earlier this year or last year. Thanks for helping me prove my point.

And fuck Dane Cook. I don't see what the appeal is.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I was surprised they used Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open the Door," because a few years ago that became the cliche of all movie-trailer songs. You can just about hear the deep-voiced announcer going "Jeremy was a clerk...." or something like that whenever the song comes on.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

THERE is only ONE ... OCT-OBER!!!

9. Msaint

Msaint Member

[danecook] Manny Martinez...Tim Helton....Billie Holliday....Dice-man Matsui...Big Snappy Ortiz....
    THERE is only ONE ... OCT-OBER!!! [/danecook]

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

It all comes down to this, Rockies vs the Arizona D-Bags. Arizona's goal? Scoring goals. Baseball goals.

Great stuff:

There's only one baseball Grammy, people.

11. It seems to be alive and well.

Draft saved Draft deleted