1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Dierdorf To Retire At End Of Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Nov 21, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/dierdorf-leaving-booth-after-years/article_77046fd8-a850-5701-89ef-f710d5205b10.html

Veteran CBS analyst's health making doing stadiums + travel difficult. Has decided to retire at end of '13 season.

Am sorry to see this, and did not realize he was in the shape he was in. He is a class act.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Dierdorf may be a classy guy but I've never been impressed with his work as an analyst.

I do wish him well in his retirement, though, and I certainly understand him wanting to put his health first.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Two notes come to mind from reading that story.

1. How long before the honchos in Canton come to the realization a tall stage is a no-go for more and more of their "customers," so they redesign the set up?

2. How long before networks realize they can save tons of money by having a bullpen of broadcasters sit in a network center and broadcast from afar games they are watching on a monitors?

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

One reason they shouldn't is that the good analysts aren't always watching what the camera is watching. That's especially true for ex-linemen.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dierdorf and McCarver in the same year. Fitting. When they both started out in the TV biz they were hailed for their insight and ability to explain the game and not just be a jock in the booth. They forced analysts to bring more to the booth than a resume and by the end of their broadcasting careers were criticized for talking too much. Always like Dierdorf, but felt his tone as he progressed made him seem like a know it all. Plays that didn't work were ill-advised. Plays that worked were genius.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I saw him walk from the booth to the media lunch area at Lucas Oil Stadium once and it made MY legs hurt. And that was at least five years ago -- I can't imagine how he kept going.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Well, that only makes sense. If a play doesn't work, I wouldn't advise running it.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It would be great if the trifect hits and the Swami retires/goes away.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Yes, Please.....And Hurry (Although his act got old 30+ years ago when it started)!

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No real wish to speak ill of the retiring, but man, sitting there watching the red zone, when Dierdorf comes on, my ears start to bleed. They need some new blood in these booths.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Every now and then CBS trots out some guy who I had no idea was still working. I swear I heard Don Criqui do a game the other day, I was half expecting Dick Enberg to show up.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Criqui sometimes does games for CBS. He's the Notre Dame radio play-by-play announcer.

Draft saved Draft deleted