1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damon Allen to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 28, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If any of Warren Moon's stats count during his run of Grey Cups with the Eskimos - or any of Otto Graham's stats during the Browns' seasons in the AAFC - then Damon Allen should merit induction in a few years.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sam,
    No CFL player who's never played in the NFL will EVER get into the NFL Hall of Fame.

The comparable is probably the HHOF which is more or less the NHL Hall of Fame.

I mean, the glaring exception is Tretiak and I have never figured out why he's in.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You and Phil Esposito.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Beat me to the Titan reference, Claws.

Damon Allen quarterbacked the Titans to 7-4 and 11-1 seasons, the last two years my fair alma-mater was relevant in football.

Those were in 1983 and '84, which gives you an idea how long Damon has been roaming around Canada in the pursuit of football glory.

An amazing career, no matter how you slice and dice it.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You're probably right, but you would think the folks in Canton wouldn't be so immediately dismissive. Shame on me for tilting at windmills.

As for Tretiak, I guess Team USA greased the skids to show its gratitude for his being pulled after one period during the Miracle on Ice. :)

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mike Pringle played there as well? Wow.

Speaking of CFL QB's with a long career, Matt Dunigan has a cooking show on Food Network Canada:

http://www.foodtv.ca/grilling/ontv.aspx?ContentId=3022

Production values are awful but he's pretty good.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Moon's CFL stats are not listed in the HOF media guide. Plus, as previously mentioned, the CFL has its own Hall of Fame. The AAFC's is in Canton, since the two leagues officially "merged" to form the National-American Football League. (Fortunately, the NAFL name disappeared before the 1950 season. And I wouldn't have called that one-sided deal a merger, but whatever ...)

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Who would vote for him? That would be like voting Crash Davis into Cooperstown.
    Warren Moon and Otto Graham were successful professionals.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

For a while, Cal State Fullerton had the all-time leading rusher (Pringle), passer (Allen) and receiver (Allen Pitts) in CFL history.

The all-time leading receiver is now Darren Flutie, I believe.

10. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

A sure-fire future member of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, Allen leaves the playing field as one of the CFL's most accomplished quarterbacks and the greatest in terms of longevity and career statistics.

Terrible job of writing a retirement story, given that the writer didn't throw in all the relevant stats in his story. Leaves the reader to go look them up online.

First time I've ever seen a writer not include stats when someone with a long career retires.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Frightening, isn't it, Joe?

And you thought Fullerton was just a baseball factory. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted