1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

damned if he does, damned if he doesn't...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 12, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

lol.

point taken. 'tis a slow few days, when 'hr derby' and 'the espys,' friggin' espn events, top the sports agenda.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This was my thought on it. More than 10 percent of the players in the majors have been deemed 2011 All-Stars. I thought by today, somebody would be adding Jake Delhomme as an outfielder.

It's gotten closer to the Pro Bowl this year than ever, and I can't even think of another season that came close.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think this thread is valid. Jeter's absence at the All-Star Game at the moment he's the most-publicized player in the sport speaks volumes about how the All-Star Game is an anachronism that could be done away with without much fuss from players or fans.
    I am in favor of interleague play, but I will also acknowledge interleague play has pretty well croaked any artistic rationale for the All-Star game.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Based purely on numbers, Jeter doesn't belong in the game, but that's not what the game is about. Hasn't been, really, for decades. So the outrage over that always seemed silly, even if I totally understand it.

He was voted in because the fans wanted him there. It'd have been nice if he could have obliged, but he chose not to. It's disappointing in a way, because I think his inclusion is what allows this game to be different from the other three major sports. His decision to spurn the fans, while also not surprising, is reflective of the mindset that permeates professional sports, not just among players, but also on the management side. To them, any talk about "for the fans" is lip service, unless there's some appealing financial gain. It's kind of why I wouldn't have given two shits if the guy who caught Jeter's 3,000th hit kept it and sold it to the highest bidder.

5. jr/shotglass

That part, I don't agree with. There should always be an All-Star game. The concentration should be in making it what it was, not in tearing down institutions because they've slipped.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The last time the All-Star Game was felt to be REALLY significant was in the 50s and early 60s, when the National League was pretty well integrated and the American League wasn't. Since "integrated" meant "had African American stars on their rosters," the NL All-Stars were quite motivated.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When is first pitch for the Joe Buck smarm fest anyway?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I used to be one of those who thought the fans shouldn't vote because it just becomes a popularity contest, but over the years I softened on that. As of this week I'm solidly on the side of keeping the fan vote.

I'm in Phoenix, so I'm following this all-star game from a fan's perspective much more than usual. And you know what? For the prices they charge, this whole thing could be a hell of a lot more fan friendly. Would it kill them to throw people the fans care about into the Home Run Derby? I mean, Rickie Weeks? WTF? Weeks gets the honor of sucking in front of a crowd chanting for Justin Upton, who should have been in the contest instead.

When the fans are paying through the nose for tickets, the fans should be able to see who they want. If they want Jeter, great. Jeter may not be having the greatest season, but no one's going to pay $200+ so they can someday tell their grandchildren they saw Asdrubal Cabrera.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Asdrubal Cabrera, with a sprained ankle, is going to show up and start in Jeter's place. He is actually hurt. Should we rip him as well for possibly hurting his team, which is in a pennant race, just for an exhibition game?

Jeter is doing the right thing. Part of him is probably thinking "I didn't deserve to be on the team anyway."

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I think Jeter made the right decision. He's coming off an injury and wants to make sure he's fresh for the 2nd half. There will be many more All Star Games after this for him to attend.

11. jr/shotglass

Yeah, but he's going to have to pay to get into the future ones.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Jeter has reached the place Ripken did late in his career where he's virtually guaranteed to get voted in by the fans. He has nothing to worry about.

Draft saved Draft deleted