1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damn You, Jimmy V!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I was working on the news desk of a PM paper in North Carolina when the story moved that he had died late one morning. It's still the only time I've called the press room to tell them to stop the presses.

2. Great speech.
    Tragic end.
    A-1 sleaze for most of his life, though.

3. I love the reference when he talks about the producer telling me he has 15 more seconds and him saying, "Like I care."

4. That speech never fails to choke me up. We miss you, V.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's interesting... In a week where everybody is mourning an athlete who was a douche for the majority of his life, I've caught myself rolling my eyes more than once during all of the Sean Taylor tributes...

But, I had a huge lump in my throat when I saw the piece on the V Foundation and his daughter this morning... If that speech hasn't made you well up at some point in the last 14 years, you're either a tough SOB or completely soulless...

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What does he say in Italian there?

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

This story about his daughter this morning on SportsCenter got me pretty good. Wow.

8. Excuse me?
    If anyone was "a douche for the majority of his life" it was the late Jimmy V. User, poser, cheater extraordinaire.
    I mean, come on. Using this guy's death as a club on Sean Taylor brings to mind my old editor's dictum on obits -- "You know what you get when a prick dies? A dead prick."

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

You can count the amount of college basketball coaches who aren't posers or cheaters on one hand.

10. Not to thread hi-jack, but who are the college BKB coaches who AREN'T posers or cheaters?

I think this answer needs to come from the beat writers who cover them on a daily basis. There've been many of times I've told the beat writers of a team what a joy it is to interview the coach they cover and the immediate response is, 'He/she's a prick."

So, from the guys/gals involved in the daily coverage, which coaches get reps of being 'better to cover' than they actually are? Which ones get a bad rap when it comes to being 'pricks'?

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You know what you get when a thread dies?

Me neither.

Draft saved Draft deleted