1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damn you, Francis Ford Coppola!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Jul 25, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Godfather (3) of all cinematic trainwrecks is on HBO2 right now. How in the hell did this shit get nominated for seven Oscars? Sorry, I gotta go punch a hobo or something.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The audience cheered when Mary got shot, that's all I need to say about the acting skills of Sofia

3. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I thought this was gonna be about another Godfather/Last Don sequel...when you think about it that way, Godfather III doesn't seem so bad ;)

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Listen, if you want to see FFC's best movie, get your hands on "You're A Big Boy Now." His college thesis.

My favorite movie.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Having watched GF3 again recently, it wore a little better on me that it did the first time or two I saw it. Still, unforgivable to have not found a way to get Robert Duvall to be a part of the project.

6. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I wanna say this came out the same year:

[​IMG]

7. I read somewhere that the reason why Duvall wasn't in the film was because they wouldn't pay him as much as they were paying Pacino.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He definitely didn't do it because they wouldn't pay him enough. Not sure if he wanted Pacino money, but he wanted more than they would offer.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Same reason Clemenza isn't in GF II. The guy who played him wanted too much money, so they killed off Clemenza and created the Franky Pentangeli character (who was Clemenza's lieutenant) out of thin air.

10. I'm used to it by now but I still don't know why so many people hate this movie with such unending passion. Is it even in the same neighborhood as the first two? No, it's not even close. But to be in that neighborhood, it would have to be one of the three or four best movies of all time (in my opinion). To me, though, it's still an above average to good movie. It's just a victim of its name.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It was nominated for Oscars because it was one of the best movies the year it was released. Goodfellas, yeah, I can see an argument for "Goodfellas," but "Dances With Wolves?" Come on.

If the GF movies are the Boston Celtics franchise, GF 3 is the 2008 team (or maybe the 1974-76 team).

No, not as good as the best years of Russell or Bird, but the best in its own year.

GF 3 could and should have been better (bring back Duvall to resolve the Tom Hagen storyline, cut way down on the Vincent/Mary subplot) but on its own merits it wasn't that bad.

The incessant Sofia Coppola bitching gets old. No, she wasn't very good. No, Madonna or Winona Ryder (usually named as possible alternatives) would not have been much better. It was 17 years ago for christ's sake; get over it.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually, I think Ryder was originally cast as Mary Corleone, but pulled out at the last minute. Sofia Coppola was the emergency last second replacement.

She wasn't good, but she wasn't Matt "Guitar" Murphy (in The Blues Brothers) bad, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted