1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damn Right I Taped Kerry’s ‘Apartheid’ Talk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 3, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Josh Rogin defends his reporting:

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good for Josh Rogin. That's tremendous work on his part.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What happens to the conservative meme of wanting a person's words not made in public not made public?

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's a grey area. There's an influential think tank here in London called Chatham House They hold conferences and lectures under the long-standing "Chatham House Rule." That is, participants can use and reveal information speakers have talked about but they agree not to reveal the names of who said what. That's so politicians and experts in various fields can freely exchange views but not get burned in the process. (The think-tank is also great about letting their experts speak on the record, at the drop of a hat, or at least they were circa 2008 and before.)

I don't know. Should something like this be considered fair game or what?

5. YankeeFan

That's a meme?

6. YankeeFan

I can understand why folks on the rubber chicken circuit don't want their speeches open to the press. They give basically the same speech every night.

And, within reason, I understand why elected officials, and political appointees, have off the record conversations with reporters.

But, why should our Secretary of State be giving his "honest opinion" only to some, influential citizens, and not the rest of us?

7. Boom_70

I say what's good enough for Donald Sterling is good enough for
    John Kerry.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Anyone in the public eye who still presumes any accommodation of privacy is a total ninny.

9. Boom_70

Wait Kerry was recorded without his permission. Rogin
    should go to jail

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me.

11. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Rack Rogin for getting over on the feckless Obama Administration. Clowns, all of them.

12. Boom_70

On same tape Rogin has Kerry admitting that he never got shot and never
    was in Cambodia

Draft saved Draft deleted