1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damn digital recorders..

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doubledown68, Aug 5, 2006.

1. I know the Olympus I have works on Macs and PCs. When I looked about a year ago though, not all Olympuses worked on Macs, just some.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

What's Rick Springfield's "Working Class Dog" album got to do with digital recorders? :D

Olympus is the anti-Dell. It rules.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

What's Rick Springfield's "Working Class Dog" album got to do with digital recorders? :D

Good Lord, you ARE an 80's reject!

;D

4. gumbojumbo

gumbojumbo Guest

I hate to be redundant, but how about those with digital recorder experience giving a big "yay" or "nay" for what they use and like and what brand has done them wrong, with a general idea of cost. All this talk, it might be decision time. Thanks.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Olympus DS-330 is outstanding. I believe several newer brands are on the market and that you can get a good Olympus for $100.

Best investment I've made in some time. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've had a Panasonic RR-US 360 for two years and it's been perfect.
    Only dislike is you can't rewind a specific clip -- you have to start from the beginning -- but that is remidied if you start and start your clip as soundbites.
    It has a lot of storage and most versions come with a USB cord to send the clips into a computer as well as Voice Studio software that will not only let you hear the clip (and this does rewind), but manipulate it as well as converting it into wav files. I think I paid like 70 bucks or so at circuit city

7. RickyBobbyJr

RickyBobbyJr Guest

Go with Olympus. And while the DS-330 used to be at the top of the class, it's been lapped by the emergence of the WS-300s.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1193

The new models, which differ in capacity but have the same features, are awesome. They record in WMA stereo (outstanding sound quality -- 100 times better than the DS-330 I used to have) and connect to your laptop via USB that is built-in.

Trust me. Do yourself a favor and go buy the Ws-300M online for about $110. It's well worth it. I won't even tell you about the footpedal that you can use with it. One step at a time.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Currently listening to an interview on a Sony IC recorder (ICD-P110) or at least I was, since I'm currently on my SportsJournalists.com smoke break.
    Best. Purchase. Ever.
    Office Depot and in the $70 range.
    Used to work on an RCA, one of those $30 models from target and it was ok, but it didn't have all the bells and whistles. the sony does. USB port and all sorts of fancy software, but the fancy stuff isn't mac-friendly, so not that much of a help.
    the other downside is that it is very small and easy to lose. In a small bit of self-outing. it has has a clip for a lanyard and I wear it around my neck when I go interviews or at some place on assignment with my credentials.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I have two Olympii. The older one is a VN-3600 and hasn't failed me in four years. I forgot it once, so I bought a WS-100 that plugs into a usb. It is amazing--crystal clear, easy to use.

Sidenote: Just because it plugs into your computer, don't think the technology is great enough to transcribe the interview for you. :-[ Not that I did.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

slappy, I have that model and you can rewind and FF through a file. Just hold down the particular button. It'll go slowly at first but then speed up in a hurry, so you have to keep a close eye on the timer.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I've had the DS-330 for a year and a half and it has worked flawlessly. Sound quality isn't a huge issue for me, so long as I can make out what's being said. USB connector works really well.

What everyone else is saying is not hyperbole. Olympus, Sony - it's absolutely the way to go. It'll be money you won't regret spending. Trust the crowd on this!

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I have an Olympus and an older Sony. Both are good.

Draft saved Draft deleted