1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damn Computers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slytiger, Oct 19, 2009.

1. slytiger

slytiger Member

Have a look at this article about computerized sports writers.

Sportswriting has long played host to some of the most glorious, along with the most cliché-ridden, exercises in journalism. As anybody on a sports beat can tell you, making game stories interesting day in and day out can be a brutal challenge, but for those with lesser ambitions, it can be something that you do in your sleep. Now some kids at the Intelligent Information Laboratory at Northwestern University are suggesting that an average game day story can be bolted together without human intervention.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/19/the-robots-are-coming-oh-theyre-here/

SAMPLE ARTICLE
    BOSTON — Things looked bleak for the Angels when they trailed by two runs in the ninth inning, but Los Angeles recovered thanks to a key single from Vladimir Guerrero to pull out a 7-6 victory over the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on Sunday.

Guerrero drove in two Angels runners. He went 2-4 at the plate.

“When it comes down to honoring Nick Adenhart, and what happened in April in Anaheim, yes, it probably was the biggest hit (of my career),” Guerrero said. “Because I’m dedicating that to a former teammate, a guy that passed away.”

Guerrero has been good at the plate all season, especially in day games. During day games Guerrero has a .794 OPS. He has hit five home runs and driven in 13 runners in 26 games in day games.

After Chone Figgins walked, Bobby Abreu doubled and Torii Hunter was intentionally walked, the Angels were leading by one when Guerrero came to the plate against Jonathan Papelbon with two outs and the bases loaded in the ninth inning. He singled scoring Abreu from second and Figgins from third, which gave Angels the lead for good.

The Angels clinched the AL Division Series 3-0.

Angels starter Scott Kazmir struggled, allowing five runs in six innings, but the bullpen allowed only one runs and the offense banged out 11 hits to pick up the slack and secure the victory for the Angels.

J.D. Drew drove in two Red Sox runners. He went 1-4 at the plate.

Drew homered in the fourth inning scoring Mike Lowell.

“That felt like a big swing at the time,” said Drew. “I stayed inside the ball and put a good swing on it. I was definitely going to be ready to battle again tomorrow, but it didn’t work out.”

Drew has been excellent at the plate all season, especially in day games. During day games Drew has a .914 OPS. He has hit five home runs and driven in 17 runners in 36 games in day games.

Papelbon blew the game for Boston with a blown save. Papelbon allowed three runs on four hits in one inning.

Reliever Darren Oliver got the win for Los Angeles. He allowed no runs over one-third of an inning. The Los Angeles lefty struck out none, walked none and surrendered no hits.

Los Angeles closer Brian Fuentes got the final three outs to record the save.

Juan Rivera and Kendry Morales helped lead the Angels. They combined for three hits, three RBIs and one run scored.

Four relief pitchers finished off the game for Los Angeles. Jason Bulger faced four batters in relief out of the bullpen, while Kevin Jepsen managed to record two outs to aid the victory.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Nothing like rehashing a boxscore...guess what if I want to see the boxscore/scoring summary I'll look in the agate. Sounds like something a computer geek would dream up.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is scary. This is very scary.

4. First my laptop crashes this weekend and now this ... it just gets worse and worse. :-\

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Nothing like burying the lead six grafs deep.

Or maybe the Angels clinching the ALDS isn't that important.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, this makes me feel better, actually. Because this is awful.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I db-d this, as "Damn Computers" could mean anything with journalists, but the funny part to me, is this stemmed from a grad student's thesis. A journalism grad student. Good work Medill.

Draft saved Draft deleted