1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dammit SNL, what happened?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by G-Spot, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Anyone get the feeling that any five of SportsJournalists.commers could replace the current writing staff there and do a much better job? Jesus, we wouldn't even have to use Boots jokes and we could get the job done.

Will Ferrell as Bush and Hammons as Gore on the SNL: Classic on right now. Two minutes in, and I'm already laughing. It's the one when they're having a debate, and moderator asks them to sum up in one word, since they're running out of time.
    Bush: "Strategerie."
    Gore: "Lockbox."

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh, jesus. This is a great one. Rob Lowe is host. Ralph Nader makes a cameo, where he's complaining to Lorne Michaels for not being involved in the debate at the front of show, then he starts talking to Lowe. We hear Lowe's thoughts as he wonders if he can fake his way out of this conversation. Priceless. Then, Lowe as Shaggy in a Court TV interview with Scooby Doo. Funny shit.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Governor Bush, I listened very carefully to the Vice President's remarks and I honestly believe that he did not mess with Texas.

I also enjoyed Lowe doing his Stone Phillips impression.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Where are you all watching this?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

On NBC.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I guess every time I've gone past that, it's been in commercial. Oh well.

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

The one on at 4 a.m. hadd the skit with Ferrell and Molly Shannon on a blind date in the bar with Chris Kattan also acting funny.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

It can't help NBC's cause too much when the repeats on after the new show are unquestionably funnier and more consistent. There might be a Mike-Wallace-still-on-60-Minutes quality to the continued existence of SNL.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

A lot of last night was TERRIBLE.... The "Big Wigs" sketch, the "NASCAR Dancers..."... I saw about 1 minute of that sketch, saw two of them die, and fast-forwarded past the rest... it was totally telegraphed.
    That said, Update wasn't bad, and the sketch at the end with Kristen Wiig and Jaime Pressly sipping cider and insulting other people was fun - as was "Jogger from 1982".
    A lot of it just plain sucked, though, which is a travesty considering it's the second episode of the season.

10. rgd

rgd Guest

Doesn't SNL suck every 10 years or so, whenever there are major changes in the cast? Give it time and the show will be funny again.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

This makes the Tim Kazurinsky era seem like the Bill Murray era.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Like everyone else, I'm just amazed that some of these sketches get the thumbs-up from a supposedly professional writing staff. It really makes you wonder what kind of crap gets pitched and doesn't make the cut.

Draft saved Draft deleted