1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damages ... anyone watch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Jul 26, 2007.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Anyone catch the new Glenn Close drama on F/X? They've been advertising it all summer, started last week. Solid cast, with Close, Ted Danson, Tate Donovan, Rose Byrne ... watched it, enjoyed the pilot. Any thoughts?

2. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I'm about to watch Ep. 2 without having scene the pilot. I forgot it started last week. I love every FX show except for Dirt.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is fantastic.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've got episode 2 taped for when I get home. I think it's got a load of potential. What a load of plot twists.

5. FX is scheduled to air the pilot again Saturday at 3 p.m. (EDT).

Problem I have with this kind of TV miniseries is there's no character development. Everybody is broad brush, nothing's held back, like they have to hurry up and reveal what would be great plot twists early because they're afraid you'll lose interest and stop watching.

I won't give spoilers here, but there are at least two incidents already that would have been better served to play out slowly and build some suspense. I guess this is "new" TV. When new shows are canned after 2 or 3 episodes, they can't afford to build a loyal audience.

However, I am enjoying the show. It's just a pet peeve.

6. mediaguy

I don't think it's a miniseries. Saw one reference in print to a 13-episode season, which is right there with a lot of the summer shows like "Rescue Me" and such.

Enjoyed the second episode tonight. Some real good characters that twist within a single episode. One minute, you're sympathizing with Ted Danson, the next ... not so much so.

Glad somebody responded to this thread eventually.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ted Danson's character could be turn out to be a great study in contrasts. It's really hard to know just how to take him after the second episode.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It was quite the range, loving family man one moment, banging a whore, snorting coke and ordering someone killed the next.

My only question is do they intend it to be a one-season run, or do they plan on longer?
    Great ending last night as well

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Any guesses on what's in the box Glenn Close receives next week?

And what's the deal with the caterer and her "one-night stand"?

10. mediaguy

I'm thinking it's Gwyneth's severed head.

I'm worried that by setting the Ellen Parsons Project up with the posh apartment, Glenn Close and Co. will have the place bugged and will be listening in, which is way too much like "The Firm."

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I think this has been a great find for the summer. I just hope they keep us guessing and expanding like on Lost.

glenn Close' character is a great deal like Willie Brown (SF Mayor) a lawyer who is two steps ahead of everyone else.

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Love the show. I'm beginning to think FX can do no wrong.

Also...I'm impressed by Tate Donovan, who before now I always thought of as "that oaf who was rogering Jennifer Aniston before she got really famous."

One question: Does anyone know the title of the song on the opening credits, and who performs it? I sort of dig it.

Draft saved Draft deleted