1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daly at it again: 7 balls in the water, storms off the course

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 10, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/daly-meltdown-us-golfer-quits-open-after-finding-water-7-times-20111110-1n90a.html

Second time in less than two months he gets invited to an international event, dunks multiple shots, then walks off the course. If you believe the tournament director quoted in the story, maybe everyone is getting sick and tired of this clown act and it won't be worth the trouble to give Daly an invitation, only to have him quit in the middle of a round.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

From the AP short on it, it sounded like he was intentionally hitting into the water until he ran out of balls and could quit ...

I couldn't imagine being paired with him when he turns into King Jerkoff and trying to remain focused on your own game.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My bet is Daly's appearance fees will soon be pro-rated on a per-hole basis and paid after the end of the tournament.

Melt down and stomp off the course? No money for you, John-Boy.

4. mb

mb Active Member

At this point, if you invite Daly to your tournament, you get what you deserve.

And I can't help but think some folks are inviting him with the idea of seeing him melt down.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You invite him because he's John Daly and his name has more weight than his equivalent peers. Yeah, there's a trainwreck quality to it, but if you're a B or C-level PGA stop and you need to drum up interest, you put the package stores and Hooters on threat level red and you give him a call.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Make him post a "conduct bond" of $50,000 to even play in the tournament.

Show up, play your rounds (good or bad), behave, you get your bond back plus your appearance fee. If you actually win prize money, it's icing on the cake.

Start fucking around, you go home with nothing, including the $50,000 you paid to get in.

He'd straighten his ass out in a hurry if tournament organizers started doing this.

Back in his big-money days $50 grand would be chicken feed to Daly, but I suspect these days it would be a fairly significant chunk of change for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted