1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas -- Where should I eat? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Nov 12, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

No shortage of those in Big D. Yuck.

By way of contrast, there's a cool-as-fuck community radio station.

http://www.knon.org/

The local alt-weekly, like you'd think, has the entertainment low-down.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

the sixth-floor museum is extremely cool.. yet extrememly morbid at the same time. At least that's what I thought the last time I was there. But it's a must-see, even if you're a minor history-dork like myself.

3. Esparza for Mexican.

Highly recommended.

It's out near the airport somewhere, I think off the 114.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Better than In and Out Burger?

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Bobby V's Sports Gallery Cafe.

Woops - that closed 10 years ago.

Drop by and see Jerry's World in Arlington. Amazing pile of concrete.

Strip clubs off the edge of SMU on Central Expressway.

And, go to Fort Worth and check out Joe T. Garcia's Mexican eatery.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I always go Ft. Worth. It's physically a shorter distance and has less traffic.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You know, you can drive from Houston to Dallas on almost nothing but farm-to-market roads. I mapped out a route sometime during Rita. You start in Spring and come out somewhere around Venus or Alvarado. I bet it's a spectacular, albeit slow as hell, drive.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I've taken 281 to I-20 from Austin to FW, which was slow but pleasant.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My old roomie wore his DK shirt when I dragged him to the Sixth Floor Museum last time we were in Dallas. An old lady about fell down the steps when she saw it. :D

10. Wow...I grew up in The Colony as well. I was in the first graduating class at the high school. If you haven't been out there in 25 years you're in for a shock. It's not out in BFE like it used to be. They also no longer export sticks as an industry. And Eastvale was absorbed by The Colony many years back.

If you're a golfer be sure to check out The Tribute course which is in The Colony along Lake Lewisville [the deadliest lake in the state!]. Each hole is a replica of famous holes from Scottish courses. The course is ranked as one of the top 100 public courses in the U.S. and the #1 public course in Dallas by Golf magazine.

As an earlier poster noted Deep Ellum is pretty much a "must-skip" nowadays unless you're into dance clubs. The one notable exception is Adair's, which is still the best hole-in-the-wall honkytonk in the area. Start off next door at Sol's Taco Lounge and have dinner and cervezas/margaritas before heading to Adair's to see whichever Texas country band is playing that night. There's no cover at Adair's. They make a mean burger there as well in case you skip going to Sol's. But be forewarned. The place packs out and seating is scarce. So wear comfortable footwear.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I lived there, my dad went to Eastvale for one reason only -- beer.

The Colony didn't even have a high school when I was there. High school age kids went to Lewisville. Being a city kid at heart, I always feared I'd become a Fighting Farmer, but I'm pretty sure The Colony High would have been open by the time I made it to high school.

I went to Peters Colony school in fourth and fifth grade, then we moved back to Milwaukee when my mom became terminally ill. I cried on the plane ride back "home" -- I enjoyed living in Texas.

12. Mira

Mira Member

Bubbler, there would be nothing wrong with being a Fighting Farmer ... but a Papermaker, Cheesemaker or Fighting Pretzel?

That's all up for debate. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted