1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas -- Where should I eat? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Nov 12, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Dallas Musuem of Art is very good and all the art deco stuff down at Fair Park is worth a look.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is Lewisville still the Fighting Farmers? They were when I lived there as a kid. Had a big water tower on I-35 proudly advertising it.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Kincaid's burgers - one in FW and another in Southlake (believe they were adding another one, but not sure). Probably the best burger I've ever had.
    The Mavs have four home games in the next 8 days. Might want to check one of those out. I've always had a blast. Just make sure you don't go with the intention of buying all your drinks there. You'll have to take out a second mortgage on your house.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Spring Creek BBQ

I just remembered.

http://www.springcreekbarbeque.com/

5. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Yes, Bubbler, they are still the Fighting Farmers. Had the good luck to announce their state championship game with Aldine MacArthur at the Astrodome in 1993. Farmers won 43-37, still the highest scoring 5-A championship game in Texas history. Water tower is still there, has the state championships written on the side.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

screw the skeeters, go stallions!

7. rallen13

rallen13 Member

While I often drive through Dallas on the way from Big H to Gainesville where my mother lives, I don't eat there. But God! Watch out for the traffic. That town is nuts. If it didn't take so long, I swear I would go via Ft. Worth. Half the freeway exits don't have signs on them, so you are just guessing where you are going. And all the new freeways, all 6,294 (it seems) of the damn things, are just built to fit around the existing ones. I hate the f'n place. But it does have an awesome skyline in the early evening, if you dare take your eyes off the traffic to look.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Direct access to the highway?

9. Don't listen to these guys about Mesquite, North Mesquite, yada yada yada. That's weak 5A football.

There's a quadruple header at Texas Stadium on Saturday (almost all good games), and Southlake Carroll -- one of the top teams in the nation -- plays at 6 p.m. Friday at Texas Stadium.

There are a ton of great places to eat in the West End, and you can check out Victory Park and the AAC. It's got a much-smaller version of Times Square feel to it.

If you want to drop the cash, there's a corner restaurant downtown called Avanti Ristorante that is amazing. But you'll spend some cash, especially if you get wine. It's close to the art museum and the aquarium, which are both very fun to see.

And if you want BBQ, don't go to Spring Creek. Find you a hole-in-the-wall place or the Rudy's in Frisco.

Oh, and one more thing: stay OFF of I-635 if you can help it.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Go to Deep Ellum
    A walking area near downtown, with lots of cool music clubs and 6th Street atmosphere (well, sort of)
    If you like live music, go here.
    If you want to dance or perhaps mingle with hot women, go to Cuba Libre club near downtown or Zen Bar up the Dallas North Tollway in Addison.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me, an interstate is about 400 yards away. Possibly less. Easy walk.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Deep Ellum ain't what it used to be. That area is just about dead ... high crime there ran the crowd away and now most of the clubs are closed.

Lower Greenville and the West End still are what they are.

Check out Victory Plaza near the AAC ... it's turning into a hopping place among the cocaine-and-boob-job set.

Draft saved Draft deleted