1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas -- Where should I eat? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Headed to Dallas later this week. I lived there when I was a kid, but haven't been back in 25 years. I'm looking forward to seeing what the town is like after such a long gap of time.

But I also need to eat, entertain myself, etc., any suggestions? I'm staying on the far north end of the metroplex, centrally located so I can cover my game and check out where I used to live in The Colony.

I'm also headed to New Orleans in December if anyone wants to toss out Crescent City suggestions.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If you are there on a Sunday, you could check out a really good brunch at a place called The Blue Mesa. There is one in Frisco across from the IKEA.

3. Mira

Mira Member

Go to the Book Depository where Oswald was staked out and likely shot JFK. Great historical museum. Way cool.

There's also a sweet Neiman Marcus downtown. Perhaps shopping is a girly thing to do, but it's a fab store. Really nice cafe there for lunch.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Have pizza at Campisi's, the original one near SMU. It's dark, has the feel (and legend) of a mob-connected place. FWIW, the owner's daughter was in Playboy a few years ago; she's a lovely young lady, from what I've heard.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you're in town Friday night, go check out a high school playoff game. This week is the first round and there will be games all over the place. Most of the teams from the outlying outposts converge on the metroplex to play in a nice stadium with Field Turf.

6. Mira

Mira Member

Suggestion for HS football in Dallas burbs: Go to Flower Mound or Southlake Carroll.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lower ninth ward... convertible, have a big fold out map next to you for everyone to see and drive around a block a couple times for no reason. WHOOO, let the hilarity begin...

8. Bob's Steak and Chophouse. Best steak I've ever had and I've had my share.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Corner Tap on Lower Greenville is a great Chicago-themed bar and grille that Cub/Bear fanboys like Bubbler would love.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Screw that. Go to Mesquite and check out the Skeeters as they play in Malaria Valley.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Avs are in town on Friday Nov 16. Should be a good game.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Go see a rodeo at the Stockyards. Really cool in person.

There is a BBQ place... I cannot think of the name. Red and Blue plastic cups. You get free yeast rolls and ice cream... Great place to get fat.

The JFK thing is great. It also shows the Oswald picked the worst possible location to shoot. Anyone with a brain would have chosen the knoll with a direct access to the highway just feet away. Lone gunman, sure.

If you are a NASCAR head, Texas Motor Speedway is pretty impressive.

I would also check out Jerry's new one bill field, or what they have done so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted