1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dallas times herald

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Jun 11, 2008.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Speaking of talk of resurrecting the DTH, why not make it a package deal with The National? Both went out in 1991, and it's time for both to come back.

2. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Nice.

You know, there were games that didn't even get headlines or bylines. Just short little write-ups. So you'd write three different versions, call in the boxes and bag $25 apiece, or whatever the going amount was. I'm near certain I wasn't the only one doing it.

Should I turn in my credentials to you, or is there some higher authority I need to consult?

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that.

4. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Hell, I strung for all three of those papers about four years running. And all three of them knew it.
    And yes, this was an extremely common practice.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Before the smaller paper arouind here went under, it was common practice between the two papers in this town...

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I can only assume clutchcargo was an actual employee of one of the papers. Those of us who were freelancers (i.e. high scool or college kids), good luck telling us we couldn't double or triple dip.

My best was four off one game. 10-inch gamer, 7-inch gamer, 3-inch brief, 1 boxscore only. That was a $130 night.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I did this for the first high school football game I ever covered. Wrote for the FWST, DTH and the hometown paper of the Fort Worth school's opponent.

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

You were in high cotton if one of them paid your mileage.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I wish....I was just excited to be getting three checks, poor college student that I was.

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

That was a hell of a sports section back in the day.

Blackie Sherrod and Frank Luksa were two of the guys who made me want to get into this racket. Then along came Skip Bayless and everything went to hell — not necessarily because of him but I'm still narrow-minded enough to blame him. I covered the Cowboys back in the early 80s and the current thread here about Mariotti/Telander reminds me a lot of the Blackie-Frank vs. Bayless stuff that went on back then. There was some damn interesting and entertaining pressbox episodes in those days.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That 20-year-old stick up your ass must be getting pretty rotten.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

can't bayless pretty much be blamed for all that is evil in this world? still can't figure out how someone with so little talent to offer has come so far in this business.

on a different note, got a fix of nostalgia this morning when i looked at the final times herald sunday issue and then the final "goodbye dallas" issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted