1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dallas times herald

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Jun 11, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

anyone know if belo controls the name, dallas times herald?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Why? Is a relaunch planned?

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

That would be awesome, given the stink that has become the DMN's sports section (not the fault of the writers who work there, by the way, if any of them are reading this)

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

would love to be involved with an employee-owned relaunch.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Let's do it.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

7. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

That sports section was a who's-who of badasses....

I know their old sports editor was the publisher at the Arlington Star-Telegram and is now one of the higher-ups in their online department.

8. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Not sure about the rest of the section since I don't live anywhere near Texas, but their Dallas Cowboys coverage online is pretty damn good.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The DMN used to be one of the best sections in the nation, then they started slashing and burning and it is a shell of its former self. They also used to deliver all over Texas. Not any more.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A book I have about the Dallas Morning News, "Fresh Ink," says Belo paid $55 million for the Times-Herald's building, presses and subscribers list. It doesn't say if the name was included.

11. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

No idea about the name, but the late '80s were a good time to string high school football games in Dallas-Fort Worth. If you worked things the right way, you could score three checks from one game -- Star-Telegram, Morning News, Times Herald.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Bump:
    I was covering h.s. sports for one of those three papers in the '80s---how were you able to swing three checks for one game? You must have been defrauding two of the companies each time, using pen names or whatever. While you're patting yourself on the back, know that it is not amusing. It's unethical.

Go ahead and try to rationalize your way out of this one.

TonyS---earlier you spoke of former DTH SE later to Arlington---I believe you are speaking of Mr. Hardee, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted