1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas Times Herald - 20 years ago

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bronko, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Fold that cover down and 'ol Blitz is on the other side.
    There was a pic on the bottom fold of some staffers and I was at a desk in the shot.
    Got some 20 bylines there in the paper's last year after being hired as a clerk.
    One of the best headlines I remember in the Gulf War time was:
    SCUD KILLERS FOR ISRAEL
    Lots of memories from my first-ever newspaper job there.
    RIP DTH

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Did not know that. That would certainly explain it. Thanks for the tip-in.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Many staffers there went on to work at lots of places and many are still in the biz.
    One of the most successful who went on to other things was Mark Potok, who now is the face of the hate crimes-monitoring Southern Poverty Law Center.

I've still got a desker phone list with most of the editorial staff's names.
    Would it be un-kosher to list some of those names here?

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

That is one of the funniest tricked-up photos I've ever seen. lol, big time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Blitz, I think it would be pretty cool to see the names of people who worked there.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One hell of a read.

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Longtime Washington Times sports editor Mark Hartsell was working there at the Times Herald, but on newside. Current Morning News photog Louis DeLuca, plus columnist Molly Ivins, was with us when the DTH closed. Roy Bode was the higher-up I remember most and it was newsroom managing editor Phil Schoch that I saw everyday and gave me an interview.
    But this list will specifically be sports department people and in no particular order. I’ve got the other departments, too, if anyone is interested. (apologize for any names left out or misspellings from list)
    It was around 900 people total, who lost their jobs, though all were obviously not in editorial.
    A few may have left early but most of these people were on staff when the doors closed that Sunday.

Gary Hardee – Sports Editor; Dan Langendorf, Marvin Wamble, Brent Larson, Dennis Hall, Dennis Scheid, Frank Luksa, Phil Rogers, Mike McAllister, Mark McDonald, Simon Martin, Brent Spanton, Mickey Spagnola, Gary Pina, Temple Pouncey, John Moore, Teresa Rodriguez, Ish Haley, Susan Hall, Gary Holmes, Susie Woodhams, Skip Bayless, Mark Babineck, Mark Barringer, David Boclair, Johnny Boggs, Harry Dent, Eddie Donnally, Guy Holmes, Jonathan Feigen, James Woodruff, Tom Koch, Don Tomey, Laura Kilborn, Bart Hubbuch, David Johnson, Martin (Marty) McNeal, B. Dwain Price, Kevin Koether, Corey Mayo, Stan Hovatter, Lisa Sanders, Steve Rottinghaus, Jeff Rogers, Mike Goldman, Kurt Iverson, Bill Nichols, Brock Mullins, Jeff Seigel, Dave Sorter, Mark Zeske.

10. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Can't talk about the demise of the D T-H without thinking kind thoughts about the intrepid souls who labored long and loud at the also defunct Texas newspapers in Houston and San Antonio. Both the Houston Post and San Antonio Light had spunky sports sections too.

11. Shouldn't that be Darrin Scheid?

12. azom

azom Member

Trying not to threadjack this too much, but the photos are here, with Jack Beers of the Morning News on the left and Jackson for the Times-Herald on the right:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted