1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dallas" starts again tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 13, 2012.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Saw the movie. Also in the original show Digger still had an undying love for Miss Ellie until he croaked. Both Diggers, Keenan Wynn and David Wayne. Still, nothing to say she would have left Cliff the ranch had she been Mrs. Digger.

Another thing that irked me tonight: Bobby referred to his grandfather repeatedly as "Grandpa." The Ewings never used that word! It was ALWAYS Granddaddy. Producers should know that.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

If they don't know, Patrick Duffy should damned well know it.

3. TwoGloves

Yeah!

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm all for authenticity and consistency, but if whether they call the grandfather "Grandpa" or "Granddaddy" is the biggest fault we can find, this show must be pretty darn good. :)

And it is. I kept wanting last night's episode, and the story, to just keep going on, and not end...

5. TwoGloves

I expect authenticity from the Ewings!

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

We'll have to settle for Larry Hagman's actual eyebrows.

[​IMG]

I'm surprised they don't have their own Twitter account yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I love this show. It's just a lot of fun with all the back-stabbing and twists. I was explaining all that went on to my sister, who watched with us as a family back in the show's heyday. After about 15 minutes of explaining all the different things going on, I looked at her and said, "That was just the in the first two episodes." I have a little mancrush on Patrick Duffy. He and Hagman are perfect for those roles. Not a big John Ross fan, but we'll see where it takes us.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Patrick Duffy really is great. Still can't believe he did a junky sitcom with Suzanne Somers for several years after the original Dallas. He was and forever is Bobby Ewing.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That was "Step By Step," which actually had a good run of about six or seven years.

I remember being really surprised when that show came out that Duffy was doing a sitcom. After "Dallas" and Bobby Ewing, I just never saw him doing a comedy.

While the show, about a blended family, might not have been everybody's cup of tea, I actually thought Duffy was quite good in it, with better comic timing that I would have ever given him credit for, and with expressions, both physical and verbal, that sometimes surprised me. I thought that role as the dad/step-dad in the family actually did a good job of breaking him out of any stereotyping as Bobby Ewing.

And here he is, slipping right back into being Ewing again, years later. As you said, he's really just a good actor.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I was a faithful Step by Step watcher back in the day. Was too young to be around for the first run of Dallas, so that was my introduction to Patrick Duffy.

One of my friends and I vchat and watch this together every week. It's turned into our crack.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Interesting that Sasha Mitchell played his nephew in both series.

Draft saved Draft deleted