1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dallas" starts again tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Kinda off topic but Friday nights back in the day were fun viewing for this kid. Hawaii Five-O comes to mind. I think Rockford was on Friday evenings, as well.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I was thinking that, too. I think the guy playing John Ross looks like he needs a shower.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That shows how much TV viewership has changed in 30 years. Very few shows today become hits on Friday nights. That's the time slot where shows are sent to die.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Interesting point. I guess the factor is that a lot more "quality family time" is spent outside the home today.

There's now the feeling that if you're not out "doing" something Friday and Saturday night, it's a wasted evening.

5. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dallas was fun trash last night. I'll give anything with Julie Gonzalo a chance, and it was entertaining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_night_death_slot

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I enjoyed it. Lots of interesting twists, like the reveal near the end that Rebecca and her brother, assuming he is in fact her brother, really aren't who Christopher thinks they are. Up until then I had figured her to be the new Pam, the innocent (but strong-willed) waif thrown into the maelstrom. Not so much.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

"Who Booty Shot J.R.?" #houston

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'm REALLY curious what The Texanist thinks about the new show. That's the most honest and forthright "reviewer" in that magazine.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK, I watched "Dallas" again last night. Still liking it a lot after the second week.

Does anyone get the feeling J.R. Ewing's/Larry Hagman's really bushy, upswept eyebrows are so in-character that they're kept that way on purpose?

Really puts in mind a hint of the devil... :)

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Agree on both counts! I'm finding John Ross to be the weak link, though.

I found a bunch of old "Dallas" episodes on Comcast OnDemand last night and I watched the original series' first episode as well as the one where JR got shot. I thought they both held up really well.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

The opening was classic, though, with J.R. holding the straight razor to John Ross' throat.

Draft saved Draft deleted