1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas restaurants

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Jan 2, 2012.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Chuy's it is!

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was never impressed with Chuy's food. Love the place in the summer when the doors are up though.

Is Pepe and Mito's still in Deep Ellum?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mi Cocina, dude. Way better than Chuy's. Trust me. Best Mexican I've ever had. Reasonably priced, too.

Also, for a decent steak, Saltgrass is a Texas chain that is pretty good and reasonably priced.

Like Inky said, Bubba's for chicken.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Geez, how did I forget Mi Cocina? It is fantastic.

5. Sorry, late to this thread, but I gotta agree, Mi Cocina is my pick for Tex-Mex.

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I wasn't a huge fan of Mi Cocina, but perhaps it was just the one closest to me that disappointed.

Someone mentioned a place named Monica's in Deep Ellum, but I never really got down to that neck of the woods too often.

Honestly, the best Tex-Mex I ever had was a tiny hole-in-the-wall outside of New Braunfels followed closely by a hole-in-the-wall in San Angelo. Fan-freaking-tastic. But places like that, you really need to know the hours because sometimes they're closed Monday or only open for lunch or whatever.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but ate at a Chuy's in Louisville when I was on assignment there in December 2010. The "Elvis Presley Memorial Combo" is a classic (I assume they still have it?)

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

olive garden

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Shocked and saddened that "Olive Garden", "Chipotle", or "Qdoba" wasn't the first response posted.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Twisted Root (2615 Commerce St in Deep Ellum) is a pretty cool burger joint.

I also enjoyed Sammy's BBQ (2126 Leonard Street). Damn good sliced pork sausage.

And not food-related, but you owe it to yourself to take the Dealey Plaza/Sixth Floor Museum tour if you're any kind of history buff.

11. For Mexican, etc.: Gloria's is tremendous. As is La Calle Doce. As is Mia's. And, as has been said, Mi Cocina's pretty good, too.

For BBQ: Big fan of Peggy Sue's by SMU or Sammy's in Uptown.

For Steak: Nick & Sam's or Bob's Chop House.

Other favorites: Jasper's (in Plano), Breadwinners (three locations) and Sevy's (Preston Hollow)

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell of a handle there, newbie.

Draft saved Draft deleted