1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas Radio Station Prank in Pats-Pokes Post-Game Pressers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stone Cane, Oct 16, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

Was this a screen from a upcoming Borat movie?

2. You have to be kidding.
    Postgame, Belichick is altogether worthless. Win or lose.All the time. Every time. It's not like you couldn't get your quote and run upstairs and type BB's latest banality just because somebody asked a goofy question, and I think SB media day is the perfect analogue.
    And, sorry, but if you can't write a game story and a side in two freaking hours, it's time for a writing -- or typing -- coach.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Transcript from Pats site of Belichick's postgame press conference Sunday:

Overall
    "That was one tough football game. I am obviously really happy we can come out with a win down here in Dallas. Cowboys are a great football team. We have talked about them all week and they certainly gave us a lot of problems in a lot of different areas. We had a real good team win. I thought are players really hung in there. We had contributions from a lot of guys certainly in three phases of the game. We had a couple guys banged up in the game and other people stepped in for them and played well. We had contributions from everybody. That's what you need against a team like the Cowboys; they do a lot of things well. It was a tough game we are just happy to come out on top."

Few extra deep plays, throw deep what opened that up?
    "That's just part of our offense. With play action we run it and drop back and throw it. That's just what we normally do."

Were they doing anything coverage wise to Randy, to push the ball over to Wes and Dante?
    "Yeah know we mixed it up. They gave us a lot of pressure. They definitely hit us, especially in the first half. They gave us good coverage match. They did what they do. They played some two deeps, some single highs, some blitz, and blitz zone. They do what they do and they are pretty good at it."

After falling behind in Third Quarter?
    "I thought we played a good second half of football. Dallas has been a great second half team this year. I thought we were able to come back and throw it in the second half. Sure that was a big drive to bounce back after they took the lead no doubt. They had a lot of momentum coming at the end of the second quarter and into the third after they stopped us and got back on the board."

Welker/Stallworth, Good Match-ups?
    "Well most of those plays were function of what the coverage was. Tom does a good job of getting the ball to the open guy. He reads the coverage and that's who he throws it to. Those plays weren't necessarily, but one or two of them, weren't necessarily designed to go to anybody just to the guy that was open based on who was open."

Wes Welker
    "Wes has done a great job for us; he is a good slot receiver. When the opportunity comes he has made plays for us both on offense and special teams."

Pair of Staring Safeties: James, Rodney
    "I think all those guys play well. I think there were quite a few times where we have had all three of them on the field with Eugene, James and Rodney. Just a little bit of a game plan thing. I think all three players have played well for us and have done a good job. There were a few times we had two of them out there and there were a lot of times when we had all three out there. We just try and use them to try and match up on Dallas's two tight ends and even some of there markable receivers."

Offense Planned?
    "We go into the game and try and have a balanced offense. Running, passing, throwing quick, throwing deep and sometimes we see how it goes, see how it works, see what there giving us and try and adjust accordingly. I think sometimes we have some flexibility on offense and we try to utilize based on what we are seeing."

Did u do anything special to try and keep Whitten out of the game?
    "Out of the game. He killed us. He killed us in the first half. I didn't try to keep him out of the game, he ran right down the middle had a great catch on us down there. I didn't try and keep him out of the game."

Tom 5 touchdowns anything special about that?
    "We had a couple of passes were we had guys short and they broke tackles. Dante did a great job of running. Wes ran through what looked like a double coverage look. Part of those are catch and run plays. Obviously great reads and throws by Tom down in the red area. It's a combination of that, I though we got some yards from our receivers after the catch, it's great for the passing game."

------

Wow, riveting stuff.

4. I'm fucking galvanized by the insights.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

OK, separate Belichick and Patriot non-speak from this incident. It's still wrong/inappropriate.

It's saying the question is important, not the answer. This jackass didn't care at all what either Brady or Belichick answered or if they answered at all, he just wanted to be able to voice his little schtick.

It's saying the reporter is the story.

So where does the line get drawn? Do we have someone doing questions in Operaman style at Chiefs practice? Or perhaps Stoner dude style at Chargers post games? Any other suggestions?

6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

gee, good idea. will you be my writing -- or typing -- coach? Can we start with how to use hyphens?

christ, you people are freaking apologists for this moron. I'm sure nobody missed deadline because of this assclown. The point is it's wrong, it's inappropriate, it's annoying, it's not funny and it's a pain in the neck you don't need while you're trying to do your job.

he doesn't belong there.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm trying to imagine the scene if this guy had been in the room for Denny's presser after the Bears-Cardinals game last year.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i vote for stoner dude

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm with Fen. If anything the guy provided a notebook item.

10. Captain_Kirk

Probably ends with officers of the law and handcuffs...

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Is this "funny" because of who it was directed at? I'm getting that sense from some of the responses, that it's OK because dammit, that darn Bill Belichick doesn't say anything colorful anyway!

Belichick is a hardhead who gives uninspiring answers, yes. But that doesn't excuse some bonehead in a press conference asking foolish questions while others are trying to work.

Crap like this dunce are why people say we're the toy department. Because someone can make ass and waste everyone's time in a working press situation, and the response is "Hee hee. Lighten up, it's only sports." Sure, sports are entertainment. But we have a job to do when covering sports, and don't need that work hindered by some braindead playing Night at the Improv.

Again, he should have been dragged from the interview room, his credential revoked.

12. Captain_Kirk

excellent. We probably ought to script something for anyone on SportsJournalists.com to use should they decide to employe such hilarity at a future press conference. I'll give it a start, but I'm afraid my stoner days are far behind me and I'm not sure I can whip up the right motivation. Feel free to embellsih

Coach Turner, dude. Hey, when your punter kicked that ball, whoa that thing went awesomely high in the air, man. And one follow-up question: Anything back there to munch on?

Draft saved Draft deleted