1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas Morning News - Cowboys beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

So what happened to Calvin Watkins if Archer is doing Cowboys ESPNDallas?

2. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

Boy, do you really think they pay that much? Six figures? With all the layoffs and stuff they've had? I would be surprised, but then again, it's been a long time since I've talked to anyone there.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Trust me on this. While people have surely called, e-mailed or grabbed someone from the DMN at the media center and said, 'Hi, I'm interested,' that's about as far as it has gone. The DMN brass is way too busy this week to do anything more. Can't imagine they're contacting anyone at this point.

Prediction: This job won't get filled for quite awhile.

4. zhbuchanan

zhbuchanan New Member

Watkins is still at ESPNDallas. The two are not mutually exclusive. Basically DMN's entire Cowboys team from around 2007-08 -- Watkins, Archer and Tim McMahon -- jumped to ESPNDallas.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Two years of reporting at a daily newspaper or website and two or more years of reporting on a professional beat. Something about that puts the cart ahead of the horse, which is why it's no more than a formality. There wasn't much thought put into the ad itself.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

This made me LOL

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

When I get this job, thanks to SportsJournalists.com, I now know where to get my custom-made shirts!

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I think I've just been paged.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At least three candidates had conversations with the SE about the job in the last week, and anyone who follows the NFL has heard of all of them.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Almost two months, and as far as I know, no interviews. I rest my case.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's no reason to make this hire for at least another couple months.

Draft saved Draft deleted