1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas Morning News - Cowboys beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The job is good but not everyone wants to work in Dallas. And covering the Cowboys can be a pain in the ass. Not everyone wants to feel that pain.

2. mtvsportswriter

mtvsportswriter New Member

With all the applicants that will come in for this job, I should apply however...My ex wife's boyfriend is a huge cowboys' fan and it would be great if I got the job...although I know I wouldn't...

3. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

Funny, I have worked hard to get my resume to the point where it actually fulfills the requirements, but I still think I would have no shot. I do have friends living in the Dallas area though, so maybe ....

4. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Worst thing that can happen is they say no.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The job really doesn't ask for that much -- experience, social media knowledge, blogging. Doesn't even say you need any online program experience. Having said that, the person who gets the job will probably have a plethora of experience with the NFL.

6. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also prefers that you have two years covering a major pro beat.

I seriously wonder why they even feel the need to advertise. Can't they just call whomever they want?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You advertising this job for the same reason you apply for it. You never know. Some candidate the paper has never heard of could come in and blow them away.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

To get a general idea of what they're probably looking for, they hired Archer away from The Palm Beach Post where he was covering the Dolphins.

I think it's probably a safe bet that if you don't have NFL experience you won't get a sniff.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes the ad is a formality and/or a requirement of the company. Though you should still send a packet.

Also, as far as calling "whomever," the salary and overall package does play a part. My guess is it would be solid, but who knows?

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Not true. Sports editor could call you bad names.

12. I never liked that saying because as we sportswriters know, you miss zero percent of the shots you don't take. When was the last time you saw a guy pass the ball and get a missed shot charged to his name? I mean, he might get a turnover, but he's not going to get a missed shot. It's an inaccurate saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted