1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas Morning News - Cowboys beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 26, 2011.

1. phoenixrising08

phoenixrising08 New Member

Just popped up on journalismjobs.com

Company: The Dallas Morning News
    Position:Cowboys Beat Writer
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: March 2, 2011
    Job ID: 1228665

Description:

The Dallas Morning News is seeking a Dallas Cowboys beat writer for SportsDay print and SportsDayDFW.com digital platforms.

As the Dallas/Fort-Worth metro area's leading news source, The Morning News expects its writer to break news routinely and set the beat’s reporting and enterprise agenda. This reporter must be a must-read for Cowboys fans.

The successful applicant understands and has a demonstrated history of multi-platform sports journalism. This includes breaking news online, maintaining a highly successful blog, integrating multiple social networking tools as a normal part of the daily routine while understanding where print fits in the mix. This reporter will be expected to quickly develop sources within the team and the NFL and produce ambitious, engaging and creative stories online and in print.

The beat includes coverage of all practices and games, multimedia appearances and off-season reporting.

Candidates should have at least two years of reporting experience at a daily newspaper or major website. The best candidates will have a distinct, polished writing style, strong reporting instincts and two or more years of experience on a major professional beat. You must possess the ability to communicate clearly, quickly and accurately on deadline, while thriving in a competitive market.

Send resume, cover letter, writing samples and examples of your best digital work to sports editor Garry Leavell at gleavell@dallasnews.com.

2. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Dream job for anyone. What's the over/under on the amount of applications they get?

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think he means overall. Not today.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Forgot a zero

6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Isn't this like U2 advertising for a new singer?

7. Forgive me for thread-jacking but what happened to Jean-Jacques Taylor? His stuff was always a good read

8. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Taylor is a columnist now. Has been for a while. This job is replacing Todd Archer, who bolted for ESPN Dallas.

If there was a safe job at the paper, it's this one. Can't say the same for anyone else.

9. Most jobs like this, I look at and think that I have almost no chance of getting the job. This one, I look at and think I have almost no chance of my application getting read.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you don't send it, I assure you there's no chance.

11. Oh, I'm going to send it. Having no chance has never bothered me. I did spend my last year of college sending applications to everyone...literally.

That said, whether I send or don't send, I still have the same chance.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

This is a top-10 NFL job, short of national coverage, right? Maybe even top-five. You have to think they can pull someone established off an NFL beat, with years of NFL experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted