1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas Morning goes raises daily price to a buck

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

let's see. save money by combining resources w/ star-telegram and through buyouts/layoffs, offer readers smaller and smaller papers w/ fewer and fewer relevant local stories and then raise prices for the second time in nine months.

but let's make sure we continue to feed upper management with a silver spoon.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whats the slogan? Pay more for less?
  4. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

The decision-making by some of these managers is absolutely insulting.

Give readers less of what they want (real news), trim your staff and sections to bare bones and then justify jacking up the price - for the second time in nine months.

I don't think all our readers are incredibly intelligent, but more and more say to hell with newspapers each day because of arrogant decisions such as this one. Most of them see that this money will not be reinvested in making the product better. The DMN will not hire additional staff or give significant pay raises to its workers.

"Here is less of what you want and we are charging you more! Enjoy it, morons! Continue to help pay for the CEO's trip to the Bahamas!"
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, they should have raised prices first then cut back on everything.
  6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Or, you can still pay 50 cents and read the Star-Telegram. Sports-wise, it will basically be the same difference.
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I haven't bought a DMN since I let my subscription lapse in August.

The rack price was still 50 cents per copy only a year or two ago.

Is the Record-Chronicle still only a quarter?
  8. sg86

sg86 Member

And some people still wonder why newspapers are failing.
  9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

At least no one can accuse them of giving away the content for free. They're raising their prices, by gum!

Wait, they still have a free Web site? Never mind.
  10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I recall reading bits and pieces from European media commentators noting the price of American newspapers is too low. It's been stagnant for years, so I don't think it's just a matter of paying more for the gutted product many companies are now putting out. Though the European market is a different (and healthier) animal for many reasons so I'm not sure if direct price comparisons are instructive. Still, it's something that every paper probably should've done before the ad market bottomed out.
  11. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Amen, TSScribe. I was at ProCuts (yeah, the Flea isn't a fashion paragon) getting a shape-up when I saw a copy of what used to be a marvel of sports journalism. No one could touch that section in the 1990s. But the current piece of doodoo looks like a circle jerk on steroids of aging hasbeens and unknowns. I've seen more radiant writing on the side of a museli box. A dollar for that paper?? Only if they'll promise to shut it down.
  12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Of all the posts you have EVER posted, this one is by far the best and most accurate.
Draft saved Draft deleted